Apr 12, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
The Penguins are hoping the playoff version of Rob Scuderi arrives on time for the postseason.
In his first season back in Pittsburgh, Scuderi has had his ups and downs in his play and his health. As Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review shares, Penguins coaches know he can be a difference maker when he’s on his game.
“When he’s playing his best, he settles down our entire (defense),” assistant coach Todd Reirden said Friday. “We brought him back with a purpose in mind, and these are the games we have him for.“
Scuderi’s legend in Pittsburgh is already strong thanks to his play during the 2009 Stanley Cup Final.
His play in helping defend the Penguins net against the Detroit Red Wings earned him the nickname of “The Piece” and this season’s Penguins hope he can provide that kind of defensive leadership again. Having Kris Letang back in the lineup and Paul Martin healthy once again, things are looking up at the right time for the Penguins’ blue line.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)