Apr 12, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
The Penguins are hoping the playoff version of Rob Scuderi arrives on time for the postseason.
In his first season back in Pittsburgh, Scuderi has had his ups and downs in his play and his health. As Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review shares, Penguins coaches know he can be a difference maker when he’s on his game.
“When he’s playing his best, he settles down our entire (defense),” assistant coach Todd Reirden said Friday. “We brought him back with a purpose in mind, and these are the games we have him for.”
Scuderi’s legend in Pittsburgh is already strong thanks to his play during the 2009 Stanley Cup Final.
His play in helping defend the Penguins net against the Detroit Red Wings earned him the nickname of “The Piece” and this season’s Penguins hope he can provide that kind of defensive leadership again. Having Kris Letang back in the lineup and Paul Martin healthy once again, things are looking up at the right time for the Penguins’ blue line.
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 2
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)