Apr 12, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
The Penguins are hoping the playoff version of Rob Scuderi arrives on time for the postseason.
In his first season back in Pittsburgh, Scuderi has had his ups and downs in his play and his health. As Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review shares, Penguins coaches know he can be a difference maker when he’s on his game.
“When he’s playing his best, he settles down our entire (defense),” assistant coach Todd Reirden said Friday. “We brought him back with a purpose in mind, and these are the games we have him for.“
Scuderi’s legend in Pittsburgh is already strong thanks to his play during the 2009 Stanley Cup Final.
His play in helping defend the Penguins net against the Detroit Red Wings earned him the nickname of “The Piece” and this season’s Penguins hope he can provide that kind of defensive leadership again. Having Kris Letang back in the lineup and Paul Martin healthy once again, things are looking up at the right time for the Penguins’ blue line.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)