Apr 12, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
By beating their hated rivals the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Philadelphia Flyers ensured that they’d face another heated rival in the first round of the 2014 playoffs.
Their 4-3 overtime win against Pittsburgh clinched an opening series against the New York Rangers. The Rangers will have home-ice advantage in this series as the Metropolitan Division’s second seed. Some might view that as an especially noteworthy edge for the Rangers, as they’ve beaten the Flyers eight consecutive times at Madison Square Garden.
Chances are, the Flyers are far more concerned about starting goalie Steve Mason‘s health than that statistical disparity. The 25-year-old suffered an upper-body injury and didn’t return after this collision in the second period on Saturday:
The physical ending of this game can be chalked up to a combination of that collision and the teams’ noted distaste for each other (although it probably comes down to the latter … probably). If the Penguins and Flyers manage to advance to the second round, hockey fans will get yet another wrinkle to consider in the event that the two cross-state rivals would face off.
Speaking of the Penguins, they await their next opponents based on this weekend’s results. The Columbus Blue Jackets would clinch a first-round series between the two if they can beat the Florida Panthers tonight.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 2
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 72
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)