Apr 12, 2014, 1:40 AM EST
The Colorado Avalanche went into San Jose on Friday, with a chance to lock up the Central Division with only a win.
The host Sharks had other ideas, defeating the Avalanche 5-1 thanks to Martin Havlat‘s natural hat trick in the third period. It was close, a one-goal hockey game heading into the final 20 minutes, before Havlat’s offensive outburst, which gave him his first goals since March 25.
Reto Berra started in goal for the Avalanche, but was pulled just 10:11 into the game after allowing two goals on five shots.
“The only reason I pulled him was just to change the momentum of the game. I thought that was the right decision at that time. Obviously right now, he’s not playing with the confidence that he probably normally has,” Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy told The Denver Post.
The loss keeps the Avalanche tied with the Blues atop the Central Division. Both teams lost in their respective games Friday, with each stuck on 111 points with one game remaining.
The Avalanche finish out the season on Sunday against the Anaheim Ducks. There’s still a chance Colorado can come out of the regular season as the top seed in the West, however the Ducks, at 112 points, also have a game in hand.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 1
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 5
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 24
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)