Apr 12, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche are finishing the season strong, but that doesn’t mean they’re immune to the injury concerns affecting other contenders. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reports that the team recalled defenseman Stefan Elliott in light of injuries to fellow blueliner Tyson Barrie and forward John Mitchell.
Dater couldn’t get any additional information beyond Barrie and Mitchell being considered day-to-day. He expressed some fear that the two might have suffered concussions.
What is Barrie’s status going forward? No word from the Avs just yet, but this is obviously a bad sign and the obvious worry is that he has a concussion. John Mitchell also may have one, as he missed last night’s game too.
Elliott, 23, generated four points in 18 games last season and 13 in 39 contests in 2011-12. He’s been solidly effective in AHL duty in 2013-14, producing 28 points in 61 games for the Lake Erie Monsters.
In other words, losing a player like Barrie wouldn’t be ideal, but at least Elliott brings some promise if he’s forced into a relief mode.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)