Apr 12, 2014, 11:20 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche are finishing the season strong, but that doesn’t mean they’re immune to the injury concerns affecting other contenders. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reports that the team recalled defenseman Stefan Elliott in light of injuries to fellow blueliner Tyson Barrie and forward John Mitchell.
Dater couldn’t get any additional information beyond Barrie and Mitchell being considered day-to-day. He expressed some fear that the two might have suffered concussions.
What is Barrie’s status going forward? No word from the Avs just yet, but this is obviously a bad sign and the obvious worry is that he has a concussion. John Mitchell also may have one, as he missed last night’s game too.
Elliott, 23, generated four points in 18 games last season and 13 in 39 contests in 2011-12. He’s been solidly effective in AHL duty in 2013-14, producing 28 points in 61 games for the Lake Erie Monsters.
In other words, losing a player like Barrie wouldn’t be ideal, but at least Elliott brings some promise if he’s forced into a relief mode.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 0
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)