Apr 11, 2014, 9:40 AM EST
The Detroit Red Wings will make the playoffs for the 23rd consecutive season despite enduring far more than their far share of injuries. They’ve been forced to rely heavily on call ups from the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins and some of those players have become the reason the streak is still alive.
It’s further justification of Red Wings GM Ken Holland’s philosophy of waiting until a player can firmly establish themselves in the minors before calling them up.
“Leading the Grand Rapids Griffins last year was (Tomas) Tatar, (Gustav) Nyquist, Riley Sheahan and Luke Glendening so when they got their call they didn’t come up here wondering if they could play they had done it at another level so the next step for them was to go to the NHL,” Holland told the Macomb Daily.
“Now can you do it? I don’t know, but that time in the minors prepares them to be the best that they can be.”
Constantly winning means that Detroit rarely has high draft picks, but much of their talent is nevertheless homegrown. Three of the four players Holland mentioned were Red wings’ draft picks, while Luke Glendening was never drafted and had to climb his way up the ranks after his four-year tenure at the University of Michigan.
Detroit’s injury situation isn’t quite as dire as it once was, but the Red Wings will still be missing Henrik Zetterberg and Jonathan Ericsson when the playoffs start. That will contribute to the youngsters that got them this far getting a chance to play in the first round.
If nothing else, that would allow their development to continue by giving them a taste of what it’s like to play in NHL postseason games. That’s something the Red Wings hope they’ll get used to as they aim to extend their playoff appearance streak indefinitely.
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)