Apr 11, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
All that’s left is the 2 a.m. trip to Fatburger.
Today was a good day — a very good day — for Boston College scoring standout Johnny Gaudreau, as he won the 2014 Hobey Baker and officially signed his three-year, $5.5 million entry-level deal with the Calgary Flames.
Gaudreau — a heavy favorite to win Hobey after being named one of the three finalists, along with Greg Carey of St. Lawrence and Nic Dowd of St. Cloud State — finished this season by leading the country with 36 goals and 80 points, becoming the first player to reach the 80-point level since Colorado College’s Peter Sejna in 2002-03.
He helped pace BC to the Frozen Four (the Eagles were eliminated on Friday by Union) and became just the third-ever Boston College player to win the Hobey, joining David Emma in 1991 and Mike Mottau in 2000.
As mentioned above, Gaudreau also kicked off his professional career on Friday and will reportedly join the Flames for their season finale in Vancouver on Sunday, where he’ll suit up with BC teammate Bill Arnold, who also signed his ELC with the Flames today.
“We are excited to welcome both Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau to professional hockey after reaching agreements today on entry level contracts with the Calgary Flames,” said Flames President of Hockey Operations Brian Burke. “Bill is a solid two-way player with good offensive instincts combined with power and grit.
“Congratulations to Johnny on capping off an amazing college season with the Hobey Baker Award, a very well deserved achievement. Johnny is a gifted player with high end skill and smarts. We look forward to having both players, as they take the next step forward in contributing to the success of the Calgary Flames.”
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)