Apr 11, 2014, 7:42 PM EST
All that’s left is the 2 a.m. trip to Fatburger.
Today was a good day — a very good day — for Boston College scoring standout Johnny Gaudreau, as he won the 2014 Hobey Baker and officially signed his three-year, $5.5 million entry-level deal with the Calgary Flames.
Gaudreau — a heavy favorite to win Hobey after being named one of the three finalists, along with Greg Carey of St. Lawrence and Nic Dowd of St. Cloud State — finished this season by leading the country with 36 goals and 80 points, becoming the first player to reach the 80-point level since Colorado College’s Peter Sejna in 2002-03.
He helped pace BC to the Frozen Four (the Eagles were eliminated on Friday by Union) and became just the third-ever Boston College player to win the Hobey, joining David Emma in 1991 and Mike Mottau in 2000.
As mentioned above, Gaudreau also kicked off his professional career on Friday and will reportedly join the Flames for their season finale in Vancouver on Sunday, where he’ll suit up with BC teammate Bill Arnold, who also signed his ELC with the Flames today.
“We are excited to welcome both Bill Arnold and Johnny Gaudreau to professional hockey after reaching agreements today on entry level contracts with the Calgary Flames,” said Flames President of Hockey Operations Brian Burke. “Bill is a solid two-way player with good offensive instincts combined with power and grit.
“Congratulations to Johnny on capping off an amazing college season with the Hobey Baker Award, a very well deserved achievement. Johnny is a gifted player with high end skill and smarts. We look forward to having both players, as they take the next step forward in contributing to the success of the Calgary Flames.”
Mar 5, 2015, 2:12 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST
“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”
Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:20 PM EST
Calgary takes on Boston tonight at TD Garden.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Huge blow to their slim playoff chances.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:33 PM EST
Will take the pre-game skate to determine if he can play.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:18 PM EST
That’d be Sens goalie Andrew Hammond.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Following an incident against Washington on Mar. 1.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
Up to 107 points in just 40 games.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST
Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
J.T. Brown is banged up.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:35 AM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)