Apr 11, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
The last goalie to win the NHL’s Hart Trophy as the “player judged most valuable to his team” was Jose Theodore, back in 2002 for the Montreal Canadiens.
Only seven times since the award was first handed out in 1924 has a goalie been deemed the winner.
This year, the heavy favorite to win the Hart is Pittsburgh forward Sidney Crosby, whose 103 points are far and away the most in the NHL.
But all that doesn’t mean Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov shouldn’t at least be in the conversation.
“He’s one of the reasons we are where we are,” Avalanche coach Patrick Roy said, per NHL.com. “He has been so good and that’s why, looking at the standings today, seeing us with the Blues and not too far from Boston, I think he should be considered a Hart Trophy winner.”
— Varlamov leads all goalies with 41 victories
— No goalie has made more saves than his 1,867
— Among regular netminders, only two — Josh Harding (.933) and Tuukka Rask (.929) — have a higher save percentage than his .927
— The Avs are 35-7-3 when they’ve been outshot. No team has that many wins in that situation, and no team has that high a win percentage
“He’s been tremendous,” captain Gabriel Landeskog said of Varlamov. “I think it’s safe to say we wouldn’t be here without him.”
And that’s the key right there. Where would the Avs be without their goalie? Remember, this is a team that finished last in the Western Conference last year.
Varlamov’s save percentage in 2013? A lowly .903.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)