Apr 11, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
The last goalie to win the NHL’s Hart Trophy as the “player judged most valuable to his team” was Jose Theodore, back in 2002 for the Montreal Canadiens.
Only seven times since the award was first handed out in 1924 has a goalie been deemed the winner.
This year, the heavy favorite to win the Hart is Pittsburgh forward Sidney Crosby, whose 103 points are far and away the most in the NHL.
But all that doesn’t mean Colorado goalie Semyon Varlamov shouldn’t at least be in the conversation.
“He’s one of the reasons we are where we are,” Avalanche coach Patrick Roy said, per NHL.com. “He has been so good and that’s why, looking at the standings today, seeing us with the Blues and not too far from Boston, I think he should be considered a Hart Trophy winner.”
— Varlamov leads all goalies with 41 victories
— No goalie has made more saves than his 1,867
— Among regular netminders, only two — Josh Harding (.933) and Tuukka Rask (.929) — have a higher save percentage than his .927
— The Avs are 35-7-3 when they’ve been outshot. No team has that many wins in that situation, and no team has that high a win percentage
“He’s been tremendous,” captain Gabriel Landeskog said of Varlamov. “I think it’s safe to say we wouldn’t be here without him.”
And that’s the key right there. Where would the Avs be without their goalie? Remember, this is a team that finished last in the Western Conference last year.
Varlamov’s save percentage in 2013? A lowly .903.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)