Apr 11, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
All the Dallas Stars needed against the St. Louis Blues on Friday was a win. It didn’t matter the fashion, just two points and they’d be off to the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Stars clinched the final post-season position in the Western Conference with a 3-0 win over the struggling Blues. The Stars are back in the playoffs for the first time since 2008, as they wrap up the second Wild Card position.
It’s been a while.
Jamie Benn, the club’s captain, led the way offensively with a pair of assists, including the helper on the winner scored by Trevor Daley just before the six-minute mark of the second period, which Dallas completely took over.
At the other end, Kari Lehtonen wasn’t overly busy, but unbeatable nonetheless, turning aside all 22 shots he faced.
The Dallas victory eliminated the Phoenix Coyotes from playoff contention.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)