Apr 11, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
All the Dallas Stars needed against the St. Louis Blues on Friday was a win. It didn’t matter the fashion, just two points and they’d be off to the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Stars clinched the final post-season position in the Western Conference with a 3-0 win over the struggling Blues. The Stars are back in the playoffs for the first time since 2008, as they wrap up the second Wild Card position.
It’s been a while.
Jamie Benn, the club’s captain, led the way offensively with a pair of assists, including the helper on the winner scored by Trevor Daley just before the six-minute mark of the second period, which Dallas completely took over.
At the other end, Kari Lehtonen wasn’t overly busy, but unbeatable nonetheless, turning aside all 22 shots he faced.
The Dallas victory eliminated the Phoenix Coyotes from playoff contention.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 6
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)