Apr 11, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
All the Dallas Stars needed against the St. Louis Blues on Friday was a win. It didn’t matter the fashion, just two points and they’d be off to the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Stars clinched the final post-season position in the Western Conference with a 3-0 win over the struggling Blues. The Stars are back in the playoffs for the first time since 2008, as they wrap up the second Wild Card position.
It’s been a while.
Jamie Benn, the club’s captain, led the way offensively with a pair of assists, including the helper on the winner scored by Trevor Daley just before the six-minute mark of the second period, which Dallas completely took over.
At the other end, Kari Lehtonen wasn’t overly busy, but unbeatable nonetheless, turning aside all 22 shots he faced.
The Dallas victory eliminated the Phoenix Coyotes from playoff contention.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)