Apr 11, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
All the Dallas Stars needed against the St. Louis Blues on Friday was a win. It didn’t matter the fashion, just two points and they’d be off to the Stanley Cup playoffs.
The Stars clinched the final post-season position in the Western Conference with a 3-0 win over the struggling Blues. The Stars are back in the playoffs for the first time since 2008, as they wrap up the second Wild Card position.
It’s been a while.
Jamie Benn, the club’s captain, led the way offensively with a pair of assists, including the helper on the winner scored by Trevor Daley just before the six-minute mark of the second period, which Dallas completely took over.
At the other end, Kari Lehtonen wasn’t overly busy, but unbeatable nonetheless, turning aside all 22 shots he faced.
The Dallas victory eliminated the Phoenix Coyotes from playoff contention.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)