Apr 11, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
Hampered by injury at forward, the Blues have decided to use the negative as a positive by giving highly-touted prospect Ty Rattie his NHL debut tonight against Dallas.
Rattie, the 32nd overall pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, has been a dynamic scorer at both the junior and American League levels over the last three years. He put up back-to-back 100-point campaigns for WHL Portland — 121 points in 2011-12, 110 in 2012-13 — and this year, his first in the AHL, Rattie leads Chicago with 29 goals and 46 points.
St. Louis is ridiculously shorthanded up front tonight, as injuries have sidelined captain David Backes, T.J. Oshie, Vladimir Tarasenko, Derek Roy, Brenden Morrow and Vladimir Sobotka. Prior to those injuries, having the 21-year-old Rattie debut this year probably wasn’t in the cards — he only has 69 total games of professional experience — but it should be exciting to see what the kid can do at the NHL level.
Rattie did play on some extremely talented Portland teams and was ex-teammates with the likes of Ryan Johansen, Nino Niederreiter, Seth Jones, Derrick Pouliot and Sven Baertschi, many of whom have achieved early success in the bigs.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 2
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)