Apr 11, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT
In the wake of Brendan Shanahan taking the Maple Leafs’ presidency, reports claim Shanny’s right-hand man in the player safety department, Stephane Quintal, is set to become the NHL’s new chief disciplinarian.
According to Montreal’s La Presse, Quintal will assume the role immediately. The former Boston, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Montreal, New York Rangers and Chicago defenseman was brought into the disciplinary department in 2011 under the Player Safety Manager role and, according to Sportsnet, will be overseen by NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly while working with the existing disciplinary group that includes Patrick Burke and Brian Leetch.
Most recently, Quintal served on the Olympic disciplinary committee at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi.
Update: The NHL has made the move official, per the following release…
At the direction of NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, Brendan Shanahan immediately relinquished responsibility for overseeing the League’s Department of Player Safety upon accepting the position of President of the Toronto Maple Leafs yesterday afternoon.
Effective with Thursday night’s games and for the balance of the regular season and throughout the upcoming Stanley Cup Playoffs, Stephane Quintal assumes the role of conducting hearings and administering supplementary discipline.
The National Hockey League has a first-rate and fully functional team of professionals staffed in the Player Safety Department that will continue to monitor all plays in all games and to flag plays that warrant review and potential discipline. There will be no change in the approach that has been established by the Department of Player Safety and the League will take all steps necessary to ensure a consistent standard of enforcement and application of discipline for the balance of this season.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 1
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55