Apr 11, 2014, 2:25 PM EST
We said yesterday on PHT Extra that we’d be surprised if John Tortorella were back as coach of the Vancouver Canucks.
Let’s just say we haven’t changed our minds after reading what new president of hockey operations Trevor Linden said on the radio, per vancitybuzz:
1. Linden part 1 – thoughts on coaching
Were the Sedins misused this year?
“I think you have to use your people where they will best excel, and good coaches understand that. I haven’t talked to John about it. I think most people would say you put your best offensive players in the most offensive positions you can.”
Was it a good idea to use the twins to block shots and kill penalties?
“It’s one of those things where I probably felt personally it was a misuse of their abilities, but I’d have to dig deeper into it.”
Also interesting was the following comment from former Canucks coach — and Linden confidante to this day — Pat Quinn:
“During the first part of the year, (the Canucks) played (their) veterans until their noses were bleeding, and then we started to hit the injuries. I talked to (team doctor) Mike Bernstein and he said the injuries are terrible. He said so many of them are coming from the blocked shots and they’re fractures, and they’re not easily healed.”
Interesting, because it sounds a lot like what Rangers general manager Glen Sather said, per NHL.com, last year after he fired Tortorella:
“If you look at the injuries that we’ve had over the years, there’s a number of guys that are really getting [beat up] in our end because we’ve constantly had to defend our own end.”
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54