Apr 11, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Martin Brodeur may have played his final game with the New Jersey Devils. If that’s the case, what a career it’s been for the 41-year-old goaltender who is surely on his way to the Hockey Hall of Fame.
But, if this is the case, there wasn’t that one final victory in the script. The Devils lost 3-2 in a shootout to the New York Islanders on Friday. The Islanders scored on all three of their attempts in the skills competition.
The highlight clip below is a little vintage Brodeur, as he flashed the leather on Colin McDonald with the score tied 2-2 in the third period.
Brodeur, with 687 career regular season wins, all with the Devils, is in the final year of a two-year contract with New Jersey. However, the acquisition of Cory Schneider from Vancouver last June has altered the goaltending dynamics with the Devils.
Schneider emerged as a starter in Vancouver before last year’s trade, and at the age of 28, has proven more than capable to resume that role, even with Brodeur, a three-time Stanley Cup champion and arguably the best goalie to ever play the game, still trying to cling to the No. 1 spot.
But sitting on the bench while Schneider emerged as the starter didn’t jive with Brodeur. And now he’ll have a decision to make about his future. It seems he still believes he can play.
“The situation I’m going to get myself in is something I’m going to be okay with. So if you see me here next year, it’s because I’m okay to be sharing the net or doing whatever I’m told,” Brodeur said, as per The Star-Ledger on Thursday.
“But I’m not going to go through what I’ve done, thinking you’re still No. 1 and the next thing you know (you’re sitting).”
Meanwhile, the Devils’ ineptitude in the shootout continues. They’ve lost 13 times in a row this season in the skills competition.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)