Apr 11, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur may have played his final game with the New Jersey Devils. If that’s the case, what a career it’s been for the 41-year-old goaltender who is surely on his way to the Hockey Hall of Fame.
But, if this is the case, there wasn’t that one final victory in the script. The Devils lost 3-2 in a shootout to the New York Islanders on Friday. The Islanders scored on all three of their attempts in the skills competition.
The highlight clip below is a little vintage Brodeur, as he flashed the leather on Colin McDonald with the score tied 2-2 in the third period.
Brodeur, with 687 career regular season wins, all with the Devils, is in the final year of a two-year contract with New Jersey. However, the acquisition of Cory Schneider from Vancouver last June has altered the goaltending dynamics with the Devils.
Schneider emerged as a starter in Vancouver before last year’s trade, and at the age of 28, has proven more than capable to resume that role, even with Brodeur, a three-time Stanley Cup champion and arguably the best goalie to ever play the game, still trying to cling to the No. 1 spot.
But sitting on the bench while Schneider emerged as the starter didn’t jive with Brodeur. And now he’ll have a decision to make about his future. It seems he still believes he can play.
“The situation I’m going to get myself in is something I’m going to be okay with. So if you see me here next year, it’s because I’m okay to be sharing the net or doing whatever I’m told,” Brodeur said, as per The Star-Ledger on Thursday.
“But I’m not going to go through what I’ve done, thinking you’re still No. 1 and the next thing you know (you’re sitting).”
Meanwhile, the Devils’ ineptitude in the shootout continues. They’ve lost 13 times in a row this season in the skills competition.
Devils are now 0-13 in shootouts this year; NHL record 17 straight shootout losses dating back to last season—
That's Hockey 2Nite (@TH2N) April 12, 2014
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)