Apr 11, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues are limping into the postseason.
Already down the services of captain David Backes and 20-goal man Vladimir Tarasenko, the Blues lost another pair of forwards in Thursday’s loss to Minnesota: 1) T.J. Oshie, hurt on a nasty hit from Minnesota veteran Mike Rupp, and 2) Brenden Morrow, who took a shot off his foot during the morning skate and at first appeared OK — until he tried to partake in warmps and found himself unable to go.
More, from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
The Blues inserted Magnus Paajarvi as a late addition to the lineup in Morrow’s place. The Blues will likely have to tap into their American Hockey League affiliate for call-up help prior to tonight’s game against Dallas.
Morrow’s absence could prove significant. His 13 goals rank seventh on the team and his 25 points slot him ninth among forwards. He was signed to the roster as a free agent last summer to bring veteran experience and grit to the lineup, particularly for the playoffs. After playing in 71 regular-season games, Morrow may not get that opportunity now.
Two weeks ago, the Blues looked like runaway Central Division winner. But following a rough stretch which includes their current four-game losing streak, they’ve fallen to second in the division and are now staring at a possible first round matchup with the defending champs, Chicago.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)