Apr 11, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
The St. Louis Blues are limping into the postseason.
Already down the services of captain David Backes and 20-goal man Vladimir Tarasenko, the Blues lost another pair of forwards in Thursday’s loss to Minnesota: 1) T.J. Oshie, hurt on a nasty hit from Minnesota veteran Mike Rupp, and 2) Brenden Morrow, who took a shot off his foot during the morning skate and at first appeared OK — until he tried to partake in warmps and found himself unable to go.
More, from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
The Blues inserted Magnus Paajarvi as a late addition to the lineup in Morrow’s place. The Blues will likely have to tap into their American Hockey League affiliate for call-up help prior to tonight’s game against Dallas.
Morrow’s absence could prove significant. His 13 goals rank seventh on the team and his 25 points slot him ninth among forwards. He was signed to the roster as a free agent last summer to bring veteran experience and grit to the lineup, particularly for the playoffs. After playing in 71 regular-season games, Morrow may not get that opportunity now.
Two weeks ago, the Blues looked like runaway Central Division winner. But following a rough stretch which includes their current four-game losing streak, they’ve fallen to second in the division and are now staring at a possible first round matchup with the defending champs, Chicago.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)