Apr 10, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
As the 2013-14 season winds down, almost every game is about finishing the season strong, securing an ideal playoff position or a little of both. For that reason, Thursday’s contest matters more to the St. Louis Blues than the Minnesota Wild. You can watch that game on NBCSN or via the stream link below.
For one thing, the Blues are on the longest losing streak of their season. Sure, that’s a bit dramatic since it’s only three games, but many would argue that it’s a bad time to stumble.
More importantly, the Blues have a lot of seeding considerations going into the final few days of the season. St. Louis trails Boston by three points for the Presidents’ Trophy, Anaheim by one point for the Western Conference’s top spot and only have a two-point lead over Colorado for the Central Divsion crown. (Yeah, it’s amazing how much a small losing streak can hurt in the competitive West.)
For the Wild, it’s all about momentum … and maybe avoiding injuries. They’ve won three in a row but are guaranteed the top wild card spot; maybe they’d see motivation in potentially facing the team that will host them in the opening round.
Either way, it’s a test of might between two defensive-minded teams, so tune in by your preferred method tonight.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury (Updated) 8
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 26
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)