Apr 10, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Maybe the hype was a tad premature.
On Thursday, Chicago sent ballyhooed prospect Teuvo Teravainen to AHL Rockford, just two weeks after he made his NHL debut in a 4-2 win over Dallas.
All told, the 19-year-old appeared in just three games for Chicago prior to his demotion, going pointless while registering just four shots on goal (all of which game in a Mar. 30 loss to Pittsburgh.)
He’s been a healthy scratch in each of the last four games — all Chicago wins, coincidentally — as ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville made it clear the team’s focus was on points and playoff positioning, not letting a rookie learn on the job.
“It’s a big league, it’s a hard league,” Quenneville said, per NWTimes.com. “We want to make sure that we’re going along here. We want to make sure that we’re helping ourselves get points.
“At the same time, I think [Teravainen's] learning as well.”
Prior to joining the ‘Hawks, Teravainen was considered to be one of the best players outside the NHL. He starred for the gold medal-winning Finnish team at the ’14 World Juniors — making the All-Star team while leading the tournament in scoring — and tore it up with SM-liiga team Jokerit following the Worlds, finishing the year with 44 points in 49 games.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)