Apr 10, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Brendan Shanahan is on the verge of leaving his position as the NHL’s director of player safety to claim an executive title with the Toronto Maple Leafs, the Toronto Star’s Damien Cox reports and multiple outlets confirm.
Shanahan will leave this post (which means we might have to retire “Shanaban,” unless we just consider that a scientific term) on Friday and could join the Maple Leafs’ management team as early as this weekend, Cox reports. The exact title isn’t clear yet, but it could include the word “president” in it:
While his precise job could not be confirmed, sources suggest the Hall of Fame winger will likely be named president of the Leafs hockey club, not only president of hockey operations.
Naturally, Shanahan reportedly leaving his post right before the postseason makes it important to appoint at least a temporary replacement. Cox lists Kris King and Mike Murphy as possible replacements while Sportsnet’s John Shannon points to King specifically.
(At least there’s room for cheesy Shanaban-ish nicknames for the punishments/processes for both; one could roll out Murphy’s Law or a wide variety of royal puns for either potential replacement. So maybe humorists can breathe a sigh of relief, after all.)
TSN’s Bob McKenzie indicates there might be other options, though:
Anyway, Cox indicates that an official announcement could come as early as Monday, so it sounds like we’ll get an idea of Shanahan’s precise role very soon. The questions are already starting about what kind of ripple effect may take place as the former power forward comes on board.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)