Apr 10, 2014, 10:26 PM EDT
The New York Rangers have come a long way from their challenging nine-game opening road trip. With their regulation win and the Philadelphia Flyers’ regulation loss on Thursday, they’ve now claimed the second spot in the Metropolitan Division (and the first-round series home-ice advantage that comes with it).
Not bad for a team that seemed aimless at times this season. They can now rest on their laurels in their final game of the season on Saturday after only losing four games (three in regulation) since March 18 (going 10-2-1 in that span).
Their first-round opponent hasn’t been settled yet and their preference might be a matter of opinion.
If it ends up being the Philadelphia Flyers, there are pros and cons. The positive side for the Rangers is that they’ve won eight straight games against the Flyers at Madison Square Garden. The bad news is that the Flyers employ a fellow named Claude Giroux.
With apologies to rising star Ryan Johansen, the Columbus Blue Jackets don’t have a marquee star at Giroux’s level (yet). They’re still a dangerous, pesky team that won both of their games at MSG, however.
Feel free to battle it out regarding the Rangers’ ideal opponent in the comments, but the one certainty is that they’ll begin the playoffs in the Big Apple thanks in part to their continued success on Thursday.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 6
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 15
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)