Apr 10, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
The New York Rangers have come a long way from their challenging nine-game opening road trip. With their regulation win and the Philadelphia Flyers’ regulation loss on Thursday, they’ve now claimed the second spot in the Metropolitan Division (and the first-round series home-ice advantage that comes with it).
Not bad for a team that seemed aimless at times this season. They can now rest on their laurels in their final game of the season on Saturday after only losing four games (three in regulation) since March 18 (going 10-2-1 in that span).
Their first-round opponent hasn’t been settled yet and their preference might be a matter of opinion.
If it ends up being the Philadelphia Flyers, there are pros and cons. The positive side for the Rangers is that they’ve won eight straight games against the Flyers at Madison Square Garden. The bad news is that the Flyers employ a fellow named Claude Giroux.
With apologies to rising star Ryan Johansen, the Columbus Blue Jackets don’t have a marquee star at Giroux’s level (yet). They’re still a dangerous, pesky team that won both of their games at MSG, however.
Feel free to battle it out regarding the Rangers’ ideal opponent in the comments, but the one certainty is that they’ll begin the playoffs in the Big Apple thanks in part to their continued success on Thursday.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)