Apr 10, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Less than two weeks after signing with Minnesota, Christian Folin is set to make his NHL debut.
Folin, 23, is a 6-foot-3, 215-pounder who emerged as one of the most highly sought-after college free agents this spring, per CBC. The Edmonton Journal reported that 15 to 20 teams were interested in acquiring the blue liner and that, following his freshman year, both Ottawa and Vancouver tried to sign him.
“Christian is a big, mobile defenseman who has a heavy shot and moves the puck well,” said Wild assistant general manager Brent Flahr in a statement. “He plays a very mature game that we feel should allow him transition to the NHL very quickly.
“We’re very excited to have Christian join the Wild and further add to our group of emerging young players.”
Per the Star-Tribune, Folin will be paired with Marco Scandella tonight as the Wild will give Jared Spurgeon the night off. It’s also worth noting another player will be making his Minnesota debut tonight — goalie John Curry, who hasn’t played in the NHL since appearing in one game for Pittsburgh during the 2009-10 campaign.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5