Apr 10, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Less than two weeks after signing with Minnesota, Christian Folin is set to make his NHL debut.
Folin, 23, is a 6-foot-3, 215-pounder who emerged as one of the most highly sought-after college free agents this spring, per CBC. The Edmonton Journal reported that 15 to 20 teams were interested in acquiring the blue liner and that, following his freshman year, both Ottawa and Vancouver tried to sign him.
“Christian is a big, mobile defenseman who has a heavy shot and moves the puck well,” said Wild assistant general manager Brent Flahr in a statement. “He plays a very mature game that we feel should allow him transition to the NHL very quickly.
“We’re very excited to have Christian join the Wild and further add to our group of emerging young players.”
Per the Star-Tribune, Folin will be paired with Marco Scandella tonight as the Wild will give Jared Spurgeon the night off. It’s also worth noting another player will be making his Minnesota debut tonight — goalie John Curry, who hasn’t played in the NHL since appearing in one game for Pittsburgh during the 2009-10 campaign.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)