Apr 10, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Less than two weeks after signing with Minnesota, Christian Folin is set to make his NHL debut.
Folin, 23, is a 6-foot-3, 215-pounder who emerged as one of the most highly sought-after college free agents this spring, per CBC. The Edmonton Journal reported that 15 to 20 teams were interested in acquiring the blue liner and that, following his freshman year, both Ottawa and Vancouver tried to sign him.
“Christian is a big, mobile defenseman who has a heavy shot and moves the puck well,” said Wild assistant general manager Brent Flahr in a statement. “He plays a very mature game that we feel should allow him transition to the NHL very quickly.
“We’re very excited to have Christian join the Wild and further add to our group of emerging young players.”
Per the Star-Tribune, Folin will be paired with Marco Scandella tonight as the Wild will give Jared Spurgeon the night off. It’s also worth noting another player will be making his Minnesota debut tonight — goalie John Curry, who hasn’t played in the NHL since appearing in one game for Pittsburgh during the 2009-10 campaign.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)