Apr 10, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Less than two weeks after signing with Minnesota, Christian Folin is set to make his NHL debut.
Folin, 23, is a 6-foot-3, 215-pounder who emerged as one of the most highly sought-after college free agents this spring, per CBC. The Edmonton Journal reported that 15 to 20 teams were interested in acquiring the blue liner and that, following his freshman year, both Ottawa and Vancouver tried to sign him.
“Christian is a big, mobile defenseman who has a heavy shot and moves the puck well,” said Wild assistant general manager Brent Flahr in a statement. “He plays a very mature game that we feel should allow him transition to the NHL very quickly.
“We’re very excited to have Christian join the Wild and further add to our group of emerging young players.”
Per the Star-Tribune, Folin will be paired with Marco Scandella tonight as the Wild will give Jared Spurgeon the night off. It’s also worth noting another player will be making his Minnesota debut tonight — goalie John Curry, who hasn’t played in the NHL since appearing in one game for Pittsburgh during the 2009-10 campaign.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)