Apr 10, 2014, 12:36 PM EST
Less than two weeks after signing with Minnesota, Christian Folin is set to make his NHL debut.
Folin, 23, is a 6-foot-3, 215-pounder who emerged as one of the most highly sought-after college free agents this spring, per CBC. The Edmonton Journal reported that 15 to 20 teams were interested in acquiring the blue liner and that, following his freshman year, both Ottawa and Vancouver tried to sign him.
“Christian is a big, mobile defenseman who has a heavy shot and moves the puck well,” said Wild assistant general manager Brent Flahr in a statement. “He plays a very mature game that we feel should allow him transition to the NHL very quickly.
“We’re very excited to have Christian join the Wild and further add to our group of emerging young players.”
Per the Star-Tribune, Folin will be paired with Marco Scandella tonight as the Wild will give Jared Spurgeon the night off. It’s also worth noting another player will be making his Minnesota debut tonight — goalie John Curry, who hasn’t played in the NHL since appearing in one game for Pittsburgh during the 2009-10 campaign.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)