Apr 10, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Kirk Muller’s seen plenty of ups and downs during his three years as Hurricanes coach — evident by his 78-79-27 record — and now, having failed to make the postseason for a third straight year, he’s unsure what his future in Carolina holds.
Muller has a year remaining on his contract. He said he has gotten no assurances from team owner Peter Karmanos Jr. or management about next season but hopes to return.
“We’ve got a good group of young guys,” he said. “As far as this year we’re not happy we didn’t make the playoffs, but I want to be around to turn this thing around. I want to get this team in the right direction.”
And here’s more, from the New York Post:
It is, according to sources, a fait accompli in Carolina that Kirk Muller will be dismissed a head coach at the conclusion of the season by incoming GM Ron Francis. The Candy Canes have made the playoffs once in eight seasons since winning the 2006 Stanley Cup.
Put it all together, and it promises to be a major summer of change in Raleigh. As mentioned by the Post, current GM Jim Rutherford will be reportedly replaced by Francis, so it’s unsurprising to hear that Muller could also be on his way out — most incoming GMs are keen to hire their guys, as opposed to inheriting someone brought aboard by the old regime.
That said, it does sounds as though Muller’s holding out hope for a return to the ‘Canes next season.
“From a personal way of viewing it, I think I look at it though as we’re on the right track,” he explained. “I know that’s not easy to explain short of getting into all the details, but I think we’ve looked at some different areas we’ve improved on and I think we’re in the right direction.”
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)