Apr 10, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Kirk Muller’s seen plenty of ups and downs during his three years as Hurricanes coach — evident by his 78-79-27 record — and now, having failed to make the postseason for a third straight year, he’s unsure what his future in Carolina holds.
Muller has a year remaining on his contract. He said he has gotten no assurances from team owner Peter Karmanos Jr. or management about next season but hopes to return.
“We’ve got a good group of young guys,” he said. “As far as this year we’re not happy we didn’t make the playoffs, but I want to be around to turn this thing around. I want to get this team in the right direction.”
And here’s more, from the New York Post:
It is, according to sources, a fait accompli in Carolina that Kirk Muller will be dismissed a head coach at the conclusion of the season by incoming GM Ron Francis. The Candy Canes have made the playoffs once in eight seasons since winning the 2006 Stanley Cup.
Put it all together, and it promises to be a major summer of change in Raleigh. As mentioned by the Post, current GM Jim Rutherford will be reportedly replaced by Francis, so it’s unsurprising to hear that Muller could also be on his way out — most incoming GMs are keen to hire their guys, as opposed to inheriting someone brought aboard by the old regime.
That said, it does sounds as though Muller’s holding out hope for a return to the ‘Canes next season.
“From a personal way of viewing it, I think I look at it though as we’re on the right track,” he explained. “I know that’s not easy to explain short of getting into all the details, but I think we’ve looked at some different areas we’ve improved on and I think we’re in the right direction.”
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46