Apr 10, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Kirk Muller’s seen plenty of ups and downs during his three years as Hurricanes coach — evident by his 78-79-27 record — and now, having failed to make the postseason for a third straight year, he’s unsure what his future in Carolina holds.
Muller has a year remaining on his contract. He said he has gotten no assurances from team owner Peter Karmanos Jr. or management about next season but hopes to return.
“We’ve got a good group of young guys,” he said. “As far as this year we’re not happy we didn’t make the playoffs, but I want to be around to turn this thing around. I want to get this team in the right direction.”
And here’s more, from the New York Post:
It is, according to sources, a fait accompli in Carolina that Kirk Muller will be dismissed a head coach at the conclusion of the season by incoming GM Ron Francis. The Candy Canes have made the playoffs once in eight seasons since winning the 2006 Stanley Cup.
Put it all together, and it promises to be a major summer of change in Raleigh. As mentioned by the Post, current GM Jim Rutherford will be reportedly replaced by Francis, so it’s unsurprising to hear that Muller could also be on his way out — most incoming GMs are keen to hire their guys, as opposed to inheriting someone brought aboard by the old regime.
That said, it does sounds as though Muller’s holding out hope for a return to the ‘Canes next season.
“From a personal way of viewing it, I think I look at it though as we’re on the right track,” he explained. “I know that’s not easy to explain short of getting into all the details, but I think we’ve looked at some different areas we’ve improved on and I think we’re in the right direction.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)