‘It’s a huge step for our organization': Blue Jackets headed back to playoffs

Apr 10, 2014, 12:11 AM EST

Chicago Blackhawks v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

It’s unfamiliar territory for the Columbus Blue Jackets and their fans.

The Blue Jackets defeated the Dallas Stars on Wednesday night, securing a spot in the Stanley Cup playoffs for only the second time in franchise history. The last time they qualified for the post-season was in 2009, and they were swept by the Detroit Red Wings in the opening round.

Only four playoff games in the franchise’s history. Well, that’s about to change.

“It’s a huge step for our organization. And to me, it’s just a step. But we’re ready to take the next one,” said Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards, as per the club’s official Twitter account.

“It’s been a long time and I’m happy for this team, this organization and the fans. They deserve it,” added forward Jared Boll, as per Shawn Mitchell of the Columbus Dispatch.

Here’s some Twitter reaction from some Blue Jackets players:

1. polegojim - Apr 10, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Congrats!

Someone call Urban Meyer and let him know that Columbus does indeed have a professional sports team!

…he’s easily confused!

2. esracerx46 - Apr 10, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Congrats Blue Jackets! Now will you give Todd Richards an extension? He deserves it. This team could be sneaky in the playoffs. Don’t overlook em Bruins

3. pitpenguinsrulez - Apr 10, 2014 at 12:32 AM

We shall see if this grows the fanbase.

• c9castine - Apr 10, 2014 at 1:07 AM

hopefully.

4. comeonnowguys - Apr 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Colorado in… check.
    Columbus in… check.
    Now all I need is Phoenix to not make it and I hit my who-cares-flavored e-cookie trifecta.

Glad to see them in. Between the changes and the fans friendlier start times, I hope this is only the start.

And @$!# Urban Meyer.

5. einjzmolf - Apr 10, 2014 at 12:50 AM

As a Stars fan who really wanted the two points tonight, I have no reason not to congratulate the Blue Jackets on clinching tonight. Good for them, they play a very strong brand of hockey.

6. nicofthenorthstar - Apr 10, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Congrats to coach Richards and the Blue Jackets. Pulling for you come playoffs.

7. bilbono - Apr 10, 2014 at 2:06 AM

Thrilled for the Blue Jackets! If the matchup happens, don’t let Penguins fans fill up 50% of Nationwide Arena. Not a jab at either fanbase, it’s just that it’s happened before.

8. billiam55 - Apr 10, 2014 at 8:19 AM

id love to see a NYR/Columbus playoff series.

• cofran2004 - Apr 10, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I hope not. I’d have trouble rooting for the former rangers on columbus if they’re the ones to remove the rangers…

9. fivetozeroingame7 - Apr 10, 2014 at 8:55 AM

A Crapitals free playoffs!

• dipthatchip - Apr 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM

We get it, you enjoyed last year’s game seven and continue to reference it every post. It would be awesome if you could move on and actually contribute something, anything, to the comments section.

Otherwise, #$&% off and stay #$&%ed off

• fivetozeroingame7 - Apr 10, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I did not reference the 5-0 humiliation the Capitals suffered on their home ice in my last post. That’s just a figment of your imagination.

• ithacamike - Apr 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM

You also didn’t reference the one cup the Rags have won in 73 years…so figured I’d help you out with that.

• fivetozeroingame7 - Apr 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM

10. kastout11 - Apr 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM

A very dangerous team. As a Flyers fan, I would much rather play the Penguins or Rangers than the Blue Jackets. The Blue Jackets dominated the Flyers a couple of weeks ago, and they beat Philly 3 out of 4, and should have beaten them all 4. Ideal scenario is for Philly to play, believe it or not, Pittsburgh.

11. cofran2004 - Apr 10, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I’m happy for Dubinsky and Anisimov… Throw Tyutin in there too, I always liked him when he was on the Rangers. If my Rangers find a way to get themselves one-and-doned, and columbus moves on, I will be supporting you fine folks for the remainder of the year.

Well, and tampa. I’d like to see cally do well too.

12. flyboystransport - Apr 10, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Bout time…congrads

13. penvik - Apr 10, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Love how Flyers fans WANT the Penguins. I agree it’s a coin flip, but either team could blow each other out. Philly would be favoured against Columbus, 50/50 with the Penguins. As a Penguins fan, I want Detroit in round 1, Philly round 2, and Boston round 3, Chicago for the cup in the final. Wouldn’t want it any other way.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches