Apr 10, 2014, 1:47 PM EST
In Carey Price, they’ve got one of the best goalies in the game. In P.K. Subban, they’ve got the reigning Norris Trophy winner. They added a dangerous winger at the deadline, in Thomas Vanek, to go with the dangerous winger they already had, in Max Pacioretty. And since the middle of March, they’ve won 10 of 13.
We are, of course, talking about the Montreal Canadiens. Or, as they’re known in Canada, the team that made the playoffs.
“The way they’re playing right now…this is a team that can challenge for a Stanley Cup,” said Islanders coach Jack Capuano, whose club will take on the Habs tonight.
Montreal is set to face Tampa Bay in the first round of the playoffs, probably with home-ice advantage. Beat the Lightning, who could be without goalie Ben Bishop for that series, and another battle with their historical rivals from Boston — a team they’ve already beaten three times this season — could be next.
Not to suggest the Habs don’t have their issues. Five on five, they’ve been mediocre or worse much of the season. On Price, they’ve been overly reliant at times.
But there’s no question they’ve been trending in the right direction.
Which is to say, there’s legitimate hope for Canada’s only hope.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)