Apr 10, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
In Carey Price, they’ve got one of the best goalies in the game. In P.K. Subban, they’ve got the reigning Norris Trophy winner. They added a dangerous winger at the deadline, in Thomas Vanek, to go with the dangerous winger they already had, in Max Pacioretty. And since the middle of March, they’ve won 10 of 13.
We are, of course, talking about the Montreal Canadiens. Or, as they’re known in Canada, the team that made the playoffs.
“The way they’re playing right now…this is a team that can challenge for a Stanley Cup,” said Islanders coach Jack Capuano, whose club will take on the Habs tonight.
Montreal is set to face Tampa Bay in the first round of the playoffs, probably with home-ice advantage. Beat the Lightning, who could be without goalie Ben Bishop for that series, and another battle with their historical rivals from Boston — a team they’ve already beaten three times this season — could be next.
Not to suggest the Habs don’t have their issues. Five on five, they’ve been mediocre or worse much of the season. On Price, they’ve been overly reliant at times.
But there’s no question they’ve been trending in the right direction.
Which is to say, there’s legitimate hope for Canada’s only hope.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)