Apr 10, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
In Carey Price, they’ve got one of the best goalies in the game. In P.K. Subban, they’ve got the reigning Norris Trophy winner. They added a dangerous winger at the deadline, in Thomas Vanek, to go with the dangerous winger they already had, in Max Pacioretty. And since the middle of March, they’ve won 10 of 13.
We are, of course, talking about the Montreal Canadiens. Or, as they’re known in Canada, the team that made the playoffs.
“The way they’re playing right now…this is a team that can challenge for a Stanley Cup,” said Islanders coach Jack Capuano, whose club will take on the Habs tonight.
Montreal is set to face Tampa Bay in the first round of the playoffs, probably with home-ice advantage. Beat the Lightning, who could be without goalie Ben Bishop for that series, and another battle with their historical rivals from Boston — a team they’ve already beaten three times this season — could be next.
Not to suggest the Habs don’t have their issues. Five on five, they’ve been mediocre or worse much of the season. On Price, they’ve been overly reliant at times.
But there’s no question they’ve been trending in the right direction.
Which is to say, there’s legitimate hope for Canada’s only hope.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)