Apr 10, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
In Carey Price, they’ve got one of the best goalies in the game. In P.K. Subban, they’ve got the reigning Norris Trophy winner. They added a dangerous winger at the deadline, in Thomas Vanek, to go with the dangerous winger they already had, in Max Pacioretty. And since the middle of March, they’ve won 10 of 13.
We are, of course, talking about the Montreal Canadiens. Or, as they’re known in Canada, the team that made the playoffs.
“The way they’re playing right now…this is a team that can challenge for a Stanley Cup,” said Islanders coach Jack Capuano, whose club will take on the Habs tonight.
Montreal is set to face Tampa Bay in the first round of the playoffs, probably with home-ice advantage. Beat the Lightning, who could be without goalie Ben Bishop for that series, and another battle with their historical rivals from Boston — a team they’ve already beaten three times this season — could be next.
Not to suggest the Habs don’t have their issues. Five on five, they’ve been mediocre or worse much of the season. On Price, they’ve been overly reliant at times.
But there’s no question they’ve been trending in the right direction.
Which is to say, there’s legitimate hope for Canada’s only hope.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)