Apr 10, 2014, 1:31 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks are back in the top spot of the Western Conference standings. They’re also Pacific Division champions.
The Ducks, thanks to three unanswered goals, clinched the division with a 5-2 win over the visiting San Jose Sharks on Wednesday. The Ducks are also now one point up on the St. Louis Blues for the lead in the West, and two points back of the idle Boston Bruins for the Presidents’ Trophy.
This one was close throughout the first half of the game, with the Sharks evening the score at two goals apiece on a beauty from Logan Couture (click here to see the video), but the Ducks pulled ahead in the second period.
Patrick Maroon scored his second of the evening for the Ducks, giving them a 3-2 lead and chasing Antti Niemi from the game. But Matt Beleskey essentially put this one away with just over three minutes remaining in the second period, thanks to a sweet little toe drag around Sharks’ defender Brent Burns.
While the Sharks will still compete in the playoffs, Wednesday’s loss came with further bad news.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)