Apr 10, 2014, 1:31 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks are back in the top spot of the Western Conference standings. They’re also Pacific Division champions.
The Ducks, thanks to three unanswered goals, clinched the division with a 5-2 win over the visiting San Jose Sharks on Wednesday. The Ducks are also now one point up on the St. Louis Blues for the lead in the West, and two points back of the idle Boston Bruins for the Presidents’ Trophy.
Ducks win 5-2 to capture second straight Pacific Division title and third overall in their 20 years.—
Eric Stephens (@icemancometh) April 10, 2014
This one was close throughout the first half of the game, with the Sharks evening the score at two goals apiece on a beauty from Logan Couture (click here to see the video), but the Ducks pulled ahead in the second period.
Patrick Maroon scored his second of the evening for the Ducks, giving them a 3-2 lead and chasing Antti Niemi from the game. But Matt Beleskey essentially put this one away with just over three minutes remaining in the second period, thanks to a sweet little toe drag around Sharks’ defender Brent Burns.
While the Sharks will still compete in the playoffs, Wednesday’s loss came with further bad news.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)