Apr 9, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
The Nashville Predators were officially eliminated from the playoffs for the second straight season on Tuesday — losing 3-2 in a shootout to Dallas — and following the game, captain Shea Weber teed off on, well, everything.
“Nobody likes losing. It’s frustrating,” he said, per The Tennessean. “I don’t know. I don’t know what to say. It sucks. I hate it. Everyone in here hates it, and it’s not a good feeling. Something’s got to change. We have to get better, and we have to find a way to get into the postseason.”
Weber is at an interesting time in his career. Now 28, he’s been to the playoffs on numerous occasions (six), yet never advanced past the second round and, since signing his mega 14-year, $110 million deal, has seen his team regress and fail to crack the postseason at all.
As such, it’ll be interesting to see what the Preds do in light of his recent comments.
With all due respect to Pekka Rinne, Weber is Nashville’s most valuable and important player. His name occasionally does surface in trade rumors, largely due to speculation of how much the Preds could get in return for his services and the notion that he’d welcome a move to a different market (somewhat verified by the fact Weber signed an offer sheet with Philly.)
There are already signs that Nashville is trying to go the extra mile for its captain right now. The team has been pushing his Norris candidacy hard over the last few weeks (see here and here), so it’ll be curious to see if GM David Poile echoes Weber’s comments about needing to improve the club.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)