Apr 9, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
There was a welcome sight at Blackhawks practice on Wednesday, as Patrick Kane skated with teammates for the first time since injuring his knee on Mar. 19.
Here’s more, from the Chicago Sun-Times:
His rehab has been right on schedule, and both Kane and Joel Quenneville fully expect him to be “100 percent” in time for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup playoffs, either Wednesday or Thursday of next week.
It’s the most significant injury of Kane’s seven-year career, costing him the last 12 games of the regular season (he’s on long-term injured reserve, and ineligible to return until the postseason). But Kane — a guy who hates coming off the ice for a shift, let alone a month — is trying to look at it with a positive slant, considering he has played nearly 150 games since last January, and was admittedly feeling the effects of it before the injury.
Kane said he initially thought he’d be back on the ice later in the game on March 19, that once the pain subsided, he wanted to return. But the team’s medical staff “told me otherwise.”
Kane has missed the last nine games with his injury, and that number will grow to 12 as he won’t play in any of Chicago’s final three regular season games against Montreal, Washington or Nashville. It’ll represent one of the longest stretches of inactivity due to injury in his career and, when he returns, he’ll be playing with a knee brace for the first time.
In spite of all that, Kane remains confident he’ll be ready to go when the playoffs open and is trying to take an optimistic approach to the missed time.
“Some people think it might be beneficial in the long run to maybe take a little break, especially with the year we had last year, and going deep in the playoffs, and the Olympics, and a lot of different things we’ve been doing around here the last year and a half,” he explained. “It’s something you never want to happen, but you try to think of it in a positive way, I guess.”
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 0
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)