Apr 9, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
With the playoffs no longer a possibility, the Winnipeg Jets have already turned their attention to the beginning of next season. It never hurts to plan ahead.
On Wednesday, head coach Paul Maurice, who took over in January when Claude Noel was fired, put his players through a bag skate for the final 50 minutes of practice, according to Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press.
The Jets, who sit 12th in the Western Conference, have only two games remaining in their season. In their home finale, The Jets host the Boston Bruins on Thursday night. But Wednesday was all about getting in some skating. Based on what Maurice told the local media, it appears there was a method to this.
“At the end of the year, we’re going to have our individual meetings and I’m going to tell them that one of the areas that we will look to improve is our overall group fitness,” Maurice said, as per the Winnipeg Free Press.
“Then I’m going to tell them I want them to be prepared for a tougher training camp than perhaps you’re used to.”
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)