Apr 9, 2014, 10:23 PM EST
With the playoffs no longer a possibility, the Winnipeg Jets have already turned their attention to the beginning of next season. It never hurts to plan ahead.
On Wednesday, head coach Paul Maurice, who took over in January when Claude Noel was fired, put his players through a bag skate for the final 50 minutes of practice, according to Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press.
The Jets, who sit 12th in the Western Conference, have only two games remaining in their season. In their home finale, The Jets host the Boston Bruins on Thursday night. But Wednesday was all about getting in some skating. Based on what Maurice told the local media, it appears there was a method to this.
“At the end of the year, we’re going to have our individual meetings and I’m going to tell them that one of the areas that we will look to improve is our overall group fitness,” Maurice said, as per the Winnipeg Free Press.
“Then I’m going to tell them I want them to be prepared for a tougher training camp than perhaps you’re used to.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)