Apr 9, 2014, 10:23 PM EST
With the playoffs no longer a possibility, the Winnipeg Jets have already turned their attention to the beginning of next season. It never hurts to plan ahead.
On Wednesday, head coach Paul Maurice, who took over in January when Claude Noel was fired, put his players through a bag skate for the final 50 minutes of practice, according to Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press.
The Jets, who sit 12th in the Western Conference, have only two games remaining in their season. In their home finale, The Jets host the Boston Bruins on Thursday night. But Wednesday was all about getting in some skating. Based on what Maurice told the local media, it appears there was a method to this.
“At the end of the year, we’re going to have our individual meetings and I’m going to tell them that one of the areas that we will look to improve is our overall group fitness,” Maurice said, as per the Winnipeg Free Press.
“Then I’m going to tell them I want them to be prepared for a tougher training camp than perhaps you’re used to.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 2
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 107
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (110)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)