Apr 9, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
With the playoffs no longer a possibility, the Winnipeg Jets have already turned their attention to the beginning of next season. It never hurts to plan ahead.
On Wednesday, head coach Paul Maurice, who took over in January when Claude Noel was fired, put his players through a bag skate for the final 50 minutes of practice, according to Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press.
The Jets, who sit 12th in the Western Conference, have only two games remaining in their season. In their home finale, The Jets host the Boston Bruins on Thursday night. But Wednesday was all about getting in some skating. Based on what Maurice told the local media, it appears there was a method to this.
“At the end of the year, we’re going to have our individual meetings and I’m going to tell them that one of the areas that we will look to improve is our overall group fitness,” Maurice said, as per the Winnipeg Free Press.
“Then I’m going to tell them I want them to be prepared for a tougher training camp than perhaps you’re used to.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 8
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 44
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (44)