Apr 9, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Which makes for a pretty unique story.
Tonight’s game is a makeup for the postponed Mar. 10 contest between the Jackets and Stars — called off following Rich Peverley‘s collapse due to a cardiac event — and the game will start 1-0 in Columbus’ favor…thanks to the goal Horton scored early in the first period.
So, in short, Horton scored in a game he didn’t play.
More on the details, from the Dallas Morning News:
[Horton] will be credited with a goal at the 0:00 mark of the make-up game. In addition, Matt Calvert and James Wisniewski get assists. All other statistics will be expunged. [Tim] Thomas will not be charged with a goal against, and there will be no record of minutes played or shots on goal.
The Jackets need just two more points to clinch the second-ever playoff berth in franchise history, and can get those points tonight — but it won’t be easy without Horton. He returned from a four-game absence on Tuesday and made an immediate impact, playing on the top line with Boone Jenner and Ryan Johansen while assisting on Jenner’s game-opening tally.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 22
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 61
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (61)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)