Apr 9, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Which makes for a pretty unique story.
Tonight’s game is a makeup for the postponed Mar. 10 contest between the Jackets and Stars — called off following Rich Peverley‘s collapse due to a cardiac event — and the game will start 1-0 in Columbus’ favor…thanks to the goal Horton scored early in the first period.
So, in short, Horton scored in a game he didn’t play.
More on the details, from the Dallas Morning News:
[Horton] will be credited with a goal at the 0:00 mark of the make-up game. In addition, Matt Calvert and James Wisniewski get assists. All other statistics will be expunged. [Tim] Thomas will not be charged with a goal against, and there will be no record of minutes played or shots on goal.
The Jackets need just two more points to clinch the second-ever playoff berth in franchise history, and can get those points tonight — but it won’t be easy without Horton. He returned from a four-game absence on Tuesday and made an immediate impact, playing on the top line with Boone Jenner and Ryan Johansen while assisting on Jenner’s game-opening tally.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 52
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5