Apr 9, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Which makes for a pretty unique story.
Tonight’s game is a makeup for the postponed Mar. 10 contest between the Jackets and Stars — called off following Rich Peverley‘s collapse due to a cardiac event — and the game will start 1-0 in Columbus’ favor…thanks to the goal Horton scored early in the first period.
So, in short, Horton scored in a game he didn’t play.
More on the details, from the Dallas Morning News:
[Horton] will be credited with a goal at the 0:00 mark of the make-up game. In addition, Matt Calvert and James Wisniewski get assists. All other statistics will be expunged. [Tim] Thomas will not be charged with a goal against, and there will be no record of minutes played or shots on goal.
The Jackets need just two more points to clinch the second-ever playoff berth in franchise history, and can get those points tonight — but it won’t be easy without Horton. He returned from a four-game absence on Tuesday and made an immediate impact, playing on the top line with Boone Jenner and Ryan Johansen while assisting on Jenner’s game-opening tally.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)