Apr 9, 2014, 2:55 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Ducks go back to Gibson
Rookie netminder John Gibson — who made his NHL debut on Monday with a 3-0 shutout win over Vancouver — will start for Anaheim again tonight when the Ducks host the Sharks in a key Pacific Division tilt.
Gibson, 20, is considered to be one of the best young goaltending prospects in the NHL. He captured tournament MVP at the ’13 World Juniors, then performed equally well for the U.S. men’s team at the ’13 Worlds, backstopping the Americans to bronze while posting a 1.56 GAA and .951 save percentage.
No word yet on who San Jose will start in goal, but Antti Niemi seems likely.
Monster starts in Pittsburgh
Needing just one point to clinch a playoff spot, Detroit will turn to Jonas Gustavsson tonight when they take on the Penguins at Consol.
Gustavsson wasn’t great in his last outing, allowing five goals on 26 shots in a loss to Montreal, but has been good in relief of Jimmy Howard this season. He’s posted a 16-5-3 record with a 2.63 GAA and .909 save percentage, and had won four straight games prior to the defeat to the Canadiens.
For the Penguins, Marc-Andre Fleury will get the start in goal.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)