Apr 9, 2014, 2:55 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Ducks go back to Gibson
Rookie netminder John Gibson — who made his NHL debut on Monday with a 3-0 shutout win over Vancouver — will start for Anaheim again tonight when the Ducks host the Sharks in a key Pacific Division tilt.
Gibson, 20, is considered to be one of the best young goaltending prospects in the NHL. He captured tournament MVP at the ’13 World Juniors, then performed equally well for the U.S. men’s team at the ’13 Worlds, backstopping the Americans to bronze while posting a 1.56 GAA and .951 save percentage.
No word yet on who San Jose will start in goal, but Antti Niemi seems likely.
Monster starts in Pittsburgh
Needing just one point to clinch a playoff spot, Detroit will turn to Jonas Gustavsson tonight when they take on the Penguins at Consol.
Gustavsson wasn’t great in his last outing, allowing five goals on 26 shots in a loss to Montreal, but has been good in relief of Jimmy Howard this season. He’s posted a 16-5-3 record with a 2.63 GAA and .909 save percentage, and had won four straight games prior to the defeat to the Canadiens.
For the Penguins, Marc-Andre Fleury will get the start in goal.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)