Apr 9, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Ducks go back to Gibson
Rookie netminder John Gibson — who made his NHL debut on Monday with a 3-0 shutout win over Vancouver — will start for Anaheim again tonight when the Ducks host the Sharks in a key Pacific Division tilt.
Gibson, 20, is considered to be one of the best young goaltending prospects in the NHL. He captured tournament MVP at the ’13 World Juniors, then performed equally well for the U.S. men’s team at the ’13 Worlds, backstopping the Americans to bronze while posting a 1.56 GAA and .951 save percentage.
No word yet on who San Jose will start in goal, but Antti Niemi seems likely.
Monster starts in Pittsburgh
Needing just one point to clinch a playoff spot, Detroit will turn to Jonas Gustavsson tonight when they take on the Penguins at Consol.
Gustavsson wasn’t great in his last outing, allowing five goals on 26 shots in a loss to Montreal, but has been good in relief of Jimmy Howard this season. He’s posted a 16-5-3 record with a 2.63 GAA and .909 save percentage, and had won four straight games prior to the defeat to the Canadiens.
For the Penguins, Marc-Andre Fleury will get the start in goal.
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 2
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 10
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 30
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)