Apr 9, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Ducks go back to Gibson
Rookie netminder John Gibson — who made his NHL debut on Monday with a 3-0 shutout win over Vancouver — will start for Anaheim again tonight when the Ducks host the Sharks in a key Pacific Division tilt.
Gibson, 20, is considered to be one of the best young goaltending prospects in the NHL. He captured tournament MVP at the ’13 World Juniors, then performed equally well for the U.S. men’s team at the ’13 Worlds, backstopping the Americans to bronze while posting a 1.56 GAA and .951 save percentage.
No word yet on who San Jose will start in goal, but Antti Niemi seems likely.
Monster starts in Pittsburgh
Needing just one point to clinch a playoff spot, Detroit will turn to Jonas Gustavsson tonight when they take on the Penguins at Consol.
Gustavsson wasn’t great in his last outing, allowing five goals on 26 shots in a loss to Montreal, but has been good in relief of Jimmy Howard this season. He’s posted a 16-5-3 record with a 2.63 GAA and .909 save percentage, and had won four straight games prior to the defeat to the Canadiens.
For the Penguins, Marc-Andre Fleury will get the start in goal.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (45)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)