Apr 9, 2014, 4:38 PM EDT
It didn’t work out that way, and now the talented 22-year-old is in Florida, where he was traded prior to the deadline.
With the Panthers, Pirri has 12 points (6G, 6A) in 19 games. Not bad production on a team that struggles to put the puck in the net. Florida’s leading scorer is Scottie Upshall, with just 37 points.
In Chicago, it was Pirri’s defensive abilities that people always wondered about.
“It’s something that maybe was a knock on me when I was a first-year pro four years ago,” he said, per the Sun-Sentinel. “But it has improved every year, and it’s a matter of staying consistent and showing coaches that I bring the same thing every shift.”
Panthers coach Peter Horachek likes the offense Pirri creates, but at the same time believes that “there’s a long ways to go for all these young guys as far as playing a complete game, playing a 200-foot game, not just playing in one direction.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 20
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)