Apr 9, 2014, 4:38 PM EST
It didn’t work out that way, and now the talented 22-year-old is in Florida, where he was traded prior to the deadline.
With the Panthers, Pirri has 12 points (6G, 6A) in 19 games. Not bad production on a team that struggles to put the puck in the net. Florida’s leading scorer is Scottie Upshall, with just 37 points.
In Chicago, it was Pirri’s defensive abilities that people always wondered about.
“It’s something that maybe was a knock on me when I was a first-year pro four years ago,” he said, per the Sun-Sentinel. “But it has improved every year, and it’s a matter of staying consistent and showing coaches that I bring the same thing every shift.”
Panthers coach Peter Horachek likes the offense Pirri creates, but at the same time believes that “there’s a long ways to go for all these young guys as far as playing a complete game, playing a 200-foot game, not just playing in one direction.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 6
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)