Apr 9, 2014, 4:38 PM EDT
It didn’t work out that way, and now the talented 22-year-old is in Florida, where he was traded prior to the deadline.
With the Panthers, Pirri has 12 points (6G, 6A) in 19 games. Not bad production on a team that struggles to put the puck in the net. Florida’s leading scorer is Scottie Upshall, with just 37 points.
In Chicago, it was Pirri’s defensive abilities that people always wondered about.
“It’s something that maybe was a knock on me when I was a first-year pro four years ago,” he said, per the Sun-Sentinel. “But it has improved every year, and it’s a matter of staying consistent and showing coaches that I bring the same thing every shift.”
Panthers coach Peter Horachek likes the offense Pirri creates, but at the same time believes that “there’s a long ways to go for all these young guys as far as playing a complete game, playing a 200-foot game, not just playing in one direction.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25