Apr 9, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
The fallout from Tuesday’s big news that the Vancouver Canucks fired president and general manager Mike Gillis continued the next day.
Not only was Trevor Linden hired as the new president of hockey operations on Wednesday, but players, head coach John Tortorella and chairman of Canucks Sports and Entertainment Francesco Aquilini were able to publicly reflect for the first time on the end of the Gillis era in Vancouver.
For the first time since 2008, the Canucks will not make the playoffs. The team has been trending downward since it made it to Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final. And Gillis, in his sixth season in Vancouver and with highly publicized criticism for his decisions over the years, took the fall.
“That’s the bottom line. It’s always tough to take as a player. That was tough. But then waking up this morning, seeing Trevor’s name, that brought some excitement back for sure.”
Change in Vancouver might not be restricted to just the front office. Tortorella, in his first season with the Canucks, could also be on his way out at the end of the season, as the coaching staff will undergo an evaluation from the new man Linden.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 5
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 20
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 14
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)