Apr 8, 2014, 1:06 PM EST
Pittsburgh backup Tomas Vokoun is headed to the AHL for a conditioning assignment with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Vokoun has been officially out of the Penguins’ lineup since October with a blood-clot issue. The 37-year-old was medically cleared to play in February; now, he’ll get the chance to see some game action.
“We have to see if he can” play in a game, head coach Dan Bylsma said, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
On Saturday, Zatkoff allowed four goals on just 20 shots in a 4-0 loss to Minnesota. His overall numbers are decent, however — a .911 save percentage and 12-6-1 record.
Could Vokoun be Fleury’s backup for the playoffs? The timing suggests Bylsma would like to find out.
Vokoun, of course, took over for Fleury last postseason, making 11 starts while registering an impressive .933 save percentage.
Related: Will Vokoun play again? ‘I will try’
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)