Apr 8, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin seems primed to be remembered as the most prolific goal producer of his era … and easily the most criticized snipers as well.
However you feel about the Washington Capitals star and his constantly critiqued defense/leadership/[insert intangibles], one cannot debate the fact that he is now a five-time 50+ goal scorer. Not bad for a guy who’s only 28.
Ovechkin hit the 50-goal mark against the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday:
We’ll know by the end of this week if Ovechkin ends up being the only player who manages to cross the 50-goal mark this season. As of this writing, Corey Perry is the only scorer who crossed the 40-goal threshold; he has 42 with three games left with the Anaheim Ducks.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 8
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 35
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)