Apr 8, 2014, 9:01 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin seems primed to be remembered as the most prolific goal producer of his era … and easily the most criticized snipers as well.
However you feel about the Washington Capitals star and his constantly critiqued defense/leadership/[insert intangibles], one cannot debate the fact that he is now a five-time 50+ goal scorer. Not bad for a guy who’s only 28.
Ovechkin hit the 50-goal mark against the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday:
We’ll know by the end of this week if Ovechkin ends up being the only player who manages to cross the 50-goal mark this season. As of this writing, Corey Perry is the only scorer who crossed the 40-goal threshold; he has 42 with three games left with the Anaheim Ducks.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 9
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)