Apr 8, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin seems primed to be remembered as the most prolific goal producer of his era … and easily the most criticized snipers as well.
However you feel about the Washington Capitals star and his constantly critiqued defense/leadership/[insert intangibles], one cannot debate the fact that he is now a five-time 50+ goal scorer. Not bad for a guy who’s only 28.
Ovechkin hit the 50-goal mark against the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday:
We’ll know by the end of this week if Ovechkin ends up being the only player who manages to cross the 50-goal mark this season. As of this writing, Corey Perry is the only scorer who crossed the 40-goal threshold; he has 42 with three games left with the Anaheim Ducks.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)