Apr 8, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin seems primed to be remembered as the most prolific goal producer of his era … and easily the most criticized snipers as well.
However you feel about the Washington Capitals star and his constantly critiqued defense/leadership/[insert intangibles], one cannot debate the fact that he is now a five-time 50+ goal scorer. Not bad for a guy who’s only 28.
Ovechkin hit the 50-goal mark against the St. Louis Blues on Tuesday:
We’ll know by the end of this week if Ovechkin ends up being the only player who manages to cross the 50-goal mark this season. As of this writing, Corey Perry is the only scorer who crossed the 40-goal threshold; he has 42 with three games left with the Anaheim Ducks.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39