Apr 8, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
The tough times continue for Mike Ribeiro in Phoenix.
The Coyotes’ big offseason acquisition — signed in free agency for $22 million over four years — has been a dud as of late, going goalless in 10 straight and sitting as a healthy scratch while Phoenix keeps fighting for the final wild card spot in the Western Conference.
“Obviously, I’m not helping much,” Ribeiro said, per the Arizona Republic. “It’s up to me to play better and step up my game.”
The slide comes just months after Ribeiro had a November to remember, scoring 11 points in 13 games while temporarily emerging as the club’s best center and playmaker. Since then, though, things have gone steadily downhill to the point where, in March, Ribeiro had nearly as many healthy scratches (two) as he did points (four).
Coyotes head coach Dave Tippett was blunt in his assessment of what’s wrong, deflecting claims that Ribeiro’s carousel of wingers has played a significant role in his decreased output.
“Really, ‘Ribs’ has to put the work in. That’s the bottom line,” Tippett said. “Everybody likes to rely on other players around them, but you gotta put the work in yourself first before you start looking at wingers.”
Tonight’s game versus Columbus is a huge one for the Coyotes. They head into Tuesday’s action sitting one point back of Dallas for the final wild card spot, and the Stars are hosting Nashville at American Airlines.
If the two teams keep winning, it’ll set up a final day, winner-takes-all matchup for the last playoff spot, as the Stars will take on the ‘Yotes this Sunday in Phoenix.
Apr 2, 2015, 1:20 AM EDT
Big win for San Jose.
Apr 2, 2015, 1:04 AM EDT
Apr 2, 2015, 12:46 AM EDT
Easily handled the Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday.
Apr 2, 2015, 12:16 AM EDT
Looked like a sure goal.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
That’s bad defending.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Pittsburgh lost to Philadelphia on Wednesday.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 9:23 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He’s having a “down year,” apparently.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Just 12 forwards, and five defensemen.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
“It was vicious, and it deserves to be penalized.”
Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)