Apr 8, 2014, 10:10 AM EST
The Florida Panthers weren’t the worst team this season, but they were certainly close. Acquiring goaltender Roberto Luongo from the Vancouver Canucks gives them more credibility, but their core of forwards remains a serious concern.
They do have some promising young talent like Jonathan Huberdeau and Aleksander Barkov, but you need only look at the record they’re on the cusp of breaking to realize that much more work needs to be done.
With three games left in the Panthers schedule, Scottie Upshall leads the team with just 36 points. The record for the fewest points in an 82-game season by a team scoring leader is 39. To make matters worse the record-holder, Scott Pellerin, achieved that dubious distinction while playing for the 2000-01 Minnesota Wild in their expansion season.
Pellerin also spent part of the season with Carolina and consequently got those 39 points in 58 games with the Wild. By comparison, Upshall has participated in 73 contests in 2013-14.
“It’s kind of embarrassing that we don’t even have a guy with 40 points,” Upshall admitted, per the Miami Herald. “There’s no leading scorers on this team. We all have to realize we need to be better. You chip away, learn to bury your chances.”
Florida has a couple of other players that might save them from the record in 21-year-old Nick Bjugstad (35 points) and defenseman Brian Campbell (35). Brad Boyes has 34 points, but has missed the team’s last two games with a back injury.
At least they know that they can’t do much worse in this regard next season.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)