Apr 8, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
The future of the Vancouver Canucks is very much in question at this moment. Those clinging to their jobs better hope that far-reaching decisions aren’t made based on the present … especially Monday in particular.
The Canucks faced the Anaheim Ducks in a game in which Vancouver’s slim playoff hopes were on the line and laid an egg, ultimately losing 3-0. With that, the Canucks have been eliminated from the playoffs, missing out on the postseason for the first time since the 2007-08 campaign.
It wasn’t just about John Gibson’s impressive NHL debut and first career shutout for the Ducks, either. The Canucks’ efforts seemed pretty poor; there are probably quite a few ways to illustrate that, but consider the fact that they only managed three shots in the second period and 18 overall. (Again, with their season on the line.)
Gibson, 20, made quite the first impression.
The criticisms are already trickling in regarding John Tortorella, Mike Gillis and the rest of the Canucks’ brain trust.
(Don’t be surprised if this post’s main image fuels a meme or two.)
Still not sure what Torts is trying to teach the Canucks. I will sit quietly and listen during the roundtable.—
Jason Brough (@JasonPHT) April 08, 2014
It seems likely that there will be some offseason fireworks following this lost season for the Canucks. If there are some post-game press conference fireworks to boot, PHT will pass them along.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 0
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)