Apr 8, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
The future of the Vancouver Canucks is very much in question at this moment. Those clinging to their jobs better hope that far-reaching decisions aren’t made based on the present … especially Monday in particular.
The Canucks faced the Anaheim Ducks in a game in which Vancouver’s slim playoff hopes were on the line and laid an egg, ultimately losing 3-0. With that, the Canucks have been eliminated from the playoffs, missing out on the postseason for the first time since the 2007-08 campaign.
It wasn’t just about John Gibson’s impressive NHL debut and first career shutout for the Ducks, either. The Canucks’ efforts seemed pretty poor; there are probably quite a few ways to illustrate that, but consider the fact that they only managed three shots in the second period and 18 overall. (Again, with their season on the line.)
Gibson, 20, made quite the first impression.
The criticisms are already trickling in regarding John Tortorella, Mike Gillis and the rest of the Canucks’ brain trust.
(Don’t be surprised if this post’s main image fuels a meme or two.)
It seems likely that there will be some offseason fireworks following this lost season for the Canucks. If there are some post-game press conference fireworks to boot, PHT will pass them along.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 19
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 61
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (61)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)