Apr 8, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
The future of the Vancouver Canucks is very much in question at this moment. Those clinging to their jobs better hope that far-reaching decisions aren’t made based on the present … especially Monday in particular.
The Canucks faced the Anaheim Ducks in a game in which Vancouver’s slim playoff hopes were on the line and laid an egg, ultimately losing 3-0. With that, the Canucks have been eliminated from the playoffs, missing out on the postseason for the first time since the 2007-08 campaign.
It wasn’t just about John Gibson’s impressive NHL debut and first career shutout for the Ducks, either. The Canucks’ efforts seemed pretty poor; there are probably quite a few ways to illustrate that, but consider the fact that they only managed three shots in the second period and 18 overall. (Again, with their season on the line.)
Gibson, 20, made quite the first impression.
The criticisms are already trickling in regarding John Tortorella, Mike Gillis and the rest of the Canucks’ brain trust.
(Don’t be surprised if this post’s main image fuels a meme or two.)
It seems likely that there will be some offseason fireworks following this lost season for the Canucks. If there are some post-game press conference fireworks to boot, PHT will pass them along.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)