Apr 8, 2014, 12:37 AM EST
The future of the Vancouver Canucks is very much in question at this moment. Those clinging to their jobs better hope that far-reaching decisions aren’t made based on the present … especially Monday in particular.
The Canucks faced the Anaheim Ducks in a game in which Vancouver’s slim playoff hopes were on the line and laid an egg, ultimately losing 3-0. With that, the Canucks have been eliminated from the playoffs, missing out on the postseason for the first time since the 2007-08 campaign.
It wasn’t just about John Gibson’s impressive NHL debut and first career shutout for the Ducks, either. The Canucks’ efforts seemed pretty poor; there are probably quite a few ways to illustrate that, but consider the fact that they only managed three shots in the second period and 18 overall. (Again, with their season on the line.)
Gibson, 20, made quite the first impression.
The criticisms are already trickling in regarding John Tortorella, Mike Gillis and the rest of the Canucks’ brain trust.
(Don’t be surprised if this post’s main image fuels a meme or two.)
It seems likely that there will be some offseason fireworks following this lost season for the Canucks. If there are some post-game press conference fireworks to boot, PHT will pass them along.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)