Apr 8, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
The future of the Vancouver Canucks is very much in question at this moment. Those clinging to their jobs better hope that far-reaching decisions aren’t made based on the present … especially Monday in particular.
The Canucks faced the Anaheim Ducks in a game in which Vancouver’s slim playoff hopes were on the line and laid an egg, ultimately losing 3-0. With that, the Canucks have been eliminated from the playoffs, missing out on the postseason for the first time since the 2007-08 campaign.
It wasn’t just about John Gibson’s impressive NHL debut and first career shutout for the Ducks, either. The Canucks’ efforts seemed pretty poor; there are probably quite a few ways to illustrate that, but consider the fact that they only managed three shots in the second period and 18 overall. (Again, with their season on the line.)
Gibson, 20, made quite the first impression.
The criticisms are already trickling in regarding John Tortorella, Mike Gillis and the rest of the Canucks’ brain trust.
(Don’t be surprised if this post’s main image fuels a meme or two.)
It seems likely that there will be some offseason fireworks following this lost season for the Canucks. If there are some post-game press conference fireworks to boot, PHT will pass them along.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32