Apr 8, 2014, 8:44 AM EST
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the St. Louis Blues host the Washington Capitals at the Scottrade Center at 8:00 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
Washington has been all-but eliminated from the playoff race and realistically, winning tonight won’t change much. For at least one player though, this game is very important.
Jaroslav Halak was looking forward to the opportunity to prove his critics wrong and lead the Blues in their postseason run. St. Louis didn’t want to take that chance though and instead packaged him in a deal to the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for goaltender Ryan Miller. Halak’s stint with the Sabres was brief as Washington acquired him.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $120,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Thursday’s NHL games. It’s $100 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts Thursday at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
“Obviously, I wasn’t happy when I got traded (by St. Louis),” Halak told CSN Washington.
“You’re trying to build something with the team. You try to play well for them and then you get traded.”
Halak would like the opportunity to face them and while it’s not guaranteed that it will happen, it is probable. Regardless of who starts for Washington though, St. Louis needs to be at its best.
The Blues are in the running for the Presidents’ Trophy, but more importantly, they want to enter the playoffs on a high note. St. Louis lost back-to-back games against Colorado and Chicago over the weekend, which, as goalie Brian Elliott put it, should serve as a “wake-up call.”
Among other things, their offense hasn’t been clicking lately as they’ve scored just six goals in regulation over their last five games. In contrast to Washington, the Blues’ offense is built around depth rather than star power, but when the team isn’t scoring there’s no one player that can be looked at to snap them out of it. As Elliott emphasized, this is a team that needs to put it all together to be successful.
In some ways, this can be seen as a tuneup game for St. Louis, but for Halak and a Capitals’ team that still wants to believe they can make the playoffs, this contest is so much more.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 27, 2015, 1:35 PM EST
Could it keep him from getting moved by Monday?
Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
“If we can’t get up emotionally for that game, then I think we have to take a deeper look at ourselves.”
Feb 27, 2015, 12:13 PM EST
Has appeared in 12 games for Minnesota this season.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
Didn’t get the power-play time in Toronto.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:39 AM EST
“He actually said, ‘Can you believe I’m calling you on this guy?’ And I said, ‘No, I can’t. But let’s talk.”
Feb 27, 2015, 11:13 AM EST
Norris candidate will sit after getting injured during Wednesday’s win over New Jersey; Tyler Wotherspoon has been recalled from AHL Adirondack.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:56 AM EST
Starting tonight in New Jersey.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:54 AM EST
Announced his retirement on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
He endured a rough stretch, but has bounced back recently.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:57 AM EST
He’ll bring experience, but at 43 years old can he also give Florida a boost offensively?
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)