Apr 8, 2014, 10:53 AM EST
NHL coaches don’t get to vote for the winners of the Selke Trophy, Jack Adams Award, and Calder Trophy, but it looks like there’s not a ton of disagreement among them when it comes to who should be selected for those honors.
In fact, the Selke Trophy, which goes to the top defensive forward, was the closest of the three to being a tight race.
In a poll of 16 bench bosses conducted by TSN’s Bob McKenzie, 10 of them said they would pick 2012 winner Patrice Bergeron. The Bruins center ranks third in the league with a 58.8% success rate on the draw and is a key part in Boston’s penalty kill.
When it came to who they would elect among their peers for the Jack Adams Award, which goes to the league’s top coach, Patrick Roy captured 11 of 16 first-place votes. In his rookie season as the Colorado Avalanche’s bench boss, Roy has transformed the team from one of the worst in the league to a serious playoff contender.
Boston’s Claude Julien and Detroit’s Mike Babcock finished second and third respectively.
When it comes to the Calder Trophy, which highlights the rookie of the year, the big question is if Tampa Bay Lightning forward Ondrej Palat‘s late surge has been enough to challenge Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon. The answer among the coaches is clearly no as every single one of those asked would give MacKinnon the Calder Trophy.
MacKinnon is the first rookie since Jeff Skinner in 2010-11 to reach the 60-point mark.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)