Apr 8, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
NHL coaches don’t get to vote for the winners of the Selke Trophy, Jack Adams Award, and Calder Trophy, but it looks like there’s not a ton of disagreement among them when it comes to who should be selected for those honors.
In fact, the Selke Trophy, which goes to the top defensive forward, was the closest of the three to being a tight race.
In a poll of 16 bench bosses conducted by TSN’s Bob McKenzie, 10 of them said they would pick 2012 winner Patrice Bergeron. The Bruins center ranks third in the league with a 58.8% success rate on the draw and is a key part in Boston’s penalty kill.
When it came to who they would elect among their peers for the Jack Adams Award, which goes to the league’s top coach, Patrick Roy captured 11 of 16 first-place votes. In his rookie season as the Colorado Avalanche’s bench boss, Roy has transformed the team from one of the worst in the league to a serious playoff contender.
Boston’s Claude Julien and Detroit’s Mike Babcock finished second and third respectively.
When it comes to the Calder Trophy, which highlights the rookie of the year, the big question is if Tampa Bay Lightning forward Ondrej Palat‘s late surge has been enough to challenge Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon. The answer among the coaches is clearly no as every single one of those asked would give MacKinnon the Calder Trophy.
MacKinnon is the first rookie since Jeff Skinner in 2010-11 to reach the 60-point mark.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 5
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 36
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 25
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)