Apr 8, 2014, 10:53 AM EST
NHL coaches don’t get to vote for the winners of the Selke Trophy, Jack Adams Award, and Calder Trophy, but it looks like there’s not a ton of disagreement among them when it comes to who should be selected for those honors.
In fact, the Selke Trophy, which goes to the top defensive forward, was the closest of the three to being a tight race.
In a poll of 16 bench bosses conducted by TSN’s Bob McKenzie, 10 of them said they would pick 2012 winner Patrice Bergeron. The Bruins center ranks third in the league with a 58.8% success rate on the draw and is a key part in Boston’s penalty kill.
When it came to who they would elect among their peers for the Jack Adams Award, which goes to the league’s top coach, Patrick Roy captured 11 of 16 first-place votes. In his rookie season as the Colorado Avalanche’s bench boss, Roy has transformed the team from one of the worst in the league to a serious playoff contender.
Boston’s Claude Julien and Detroit’s Mike Babcock finished second and third respectively.
When it comes to the Calder Trophy, which highlights the rookie of the year, the big question is if Tampa Bay Lightning forward Ondrej Palat‘s late surge has been enough to challenge Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon. The answer among the coaches is clearly no as every single one of those asked would give MacKinnon the Calder Trophy.
MacKinnon is the first rookie since Jeff Skinner in 2010-11 to reach the 60-point mark.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)