Apr 8, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
NHL coaches don’t get to vote for the winners of the Selke Trophy, Jack Adams Award, and Calder Trophy, but it looks like there’s not a ton of disagreement among them when it comes to who should be selected for those honors.
In fact, the Selke Trophy, which goes to the top defensive forward, was the closest of the three to being a tight race.
In a poll of 16 bench bosses conducted by TSN’s Bob McKenzie, 10 of them said they would pick 2012 winner Patrice Bergeron. The Bruins center ranks third in the league with a 58.8% success rate on the draw and is a key part in Boston’s penalty kill.
When it came to who they would elect among their peers for the Jack Adams Award, which goes to the league’s top coach, Patrick Roy captured 11 of 16 first-place votes. In his rookie season as the Colorado Avalanche’s bench boss, Roy has transformed the team from one of the worst in the league to a serious playoff contender.
Boston’s Claude Julien and Detroit’s Mike Babcock finished second and third respectively.
When it comes to the Calder Trophy, which highlights the rookie of the year, the big question is if Tampa Bay Lightning forward Ondrej Palat‘s late surge has been enough to challenge Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon. The answer among the coaches is clearly no as every single one of those asked would give MacKinnon the Calder Trophy.
MacKinnon is the first rookie since Jeff Skinner in 2010-11 to reach the 60-point mark.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)