Apr 8, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Win and they’re in. That’s the story tonight for the Philadelphia Flyers as they visit Florida to take on the woeful Panthers.
For the Flyers — who still have four games left on their schedule, including tonight’s — clinching a playoff spot at anytime this season wasn’t looking too likely after they got off to a 1-7-0 start. Head coach Peter Laviolette had already been fired after just three games, with Craig Berube taking over behind the bench.
Philadelphia went through another tough stretch in December, leading owner Ed Snider to suggest more changes could be coming. General manager Paul Holmgren appeared to be very much on the hot seat.
But since blowing a 4-1 lead to the Capitals on Dec. 15, the Flyers have gone an impressive 26-14-5. While it hasn’t been all roses for Philly in the New Year, it’s been a lot better than it was looking in October.
“It’s a special time for us,” said Flyers captain Claude Giroux. “We want to make sure we get in tonight. We need to focus on how we play. After tonight’s game, we want to be a better team than before.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 42
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)