Apr 8, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Win and they’re in. That’s the story tonight for the Philadelphia Flyers as they visit Florida to take on the woeful Panthers.
For the Flyers — who still have four games left on their schedule, including tonight’s — clinching a playoff spot at anytime this season wasn’t looking too likely after they got off to a 1-7-0 start. Head coach Peter Laviolette had already been fired after just three games, with Craig Berube taking over behind the bench.
Philadelphia went through another tough stretch in December, leading owner Ed Snider to suggest more changes could be coming. General manager Paul Holmgren appeared to be very much on the hot seat.
But since blowing a 4-1 lead to the Capitals on Dec. 15, the Flyers have gone an impressive 26-14-5. While it hasn’t been all roses for Philly in the New Year, it’s been a lot better than it was looking in October.
“It’s a special time for us,” said Flyers captain Claude Giroux. “We want to make sure we get in tonight. We need to focus on how we play. After tonight’s game, we want to be a better team than before.”
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)