Apr 8, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
A night after the Vancouver Canucks bowed out of playoff contention with a 3-0 loss, the Toronto Maple Leafs completed their disastrous fall from grace with a defeat by the same score.
The Tampa Bay Lightning face serious worries if Ben Bishop‘s injury is severe, but they didn’t have a problem beating up on the Buds 3-0 on Tuesday. Toronto has now failed to make the postseason in eight of its last nine seasons and seems primed to face some serious questions about big changes during the offseason.
From March 16 to tonight, the Leafs only won two games, going 2-10-0. They close out the 2013-14 season with games against the Florida Panthers on Thursday and the Senators on Saturday.
The Leafs are joined by the Carolina Hurricanes (who lost soundly to the New York Rangers) and Ottawa Senators (whose win against the New York Islanders counts as “too little, too late”) as teams who are officially out of the playoffs.
Update: A shootout loss to the Dallas Stars officially ended the Nashville Predators’ run.
Fans of Canadian-based NHL teams have had a tough year, as many point out:
Perhaps it’s fitting that the Montreal Canadiens are once again the only franchise located in Canada that will play beyond April 13.
Stay tuned for more updates regarding the playoff picture as Tuesday’s busy night of games slow down to a trickle (much like the Leafs’ once-promising season).
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)