Apr 8, 2014, 10:39 PM EST
A night after the Vancouver Canucks bowed out of playoff contention with a 3-0 loss, the Toronto Maple Leafs completed their disastrous fall from grace with a defeat by the same score.
The Tampa Bay Lightning face serious worries if Ben Bishop‘s injury is severe, but they didn’t have a problem beating up on the Buds 3-0 on Tuesday. Toronto has now failed to make the postseason in eight of its last nine seasons and seems primed to face some serious questions about big changes during the offseason.
From March 16 to tonight, the Leafs only won two games, going 2-10-0. They close out the 2013-14 season with games against the Florida Panthers on Thursday and the Senators on Saturday.
The Leafs are joined by the Carolina Hurricanes (who lost soundly to the New York Rangers) and Ottawa Senators (whose win against the New York Islanders counts as “too little, too late”) as teams who are officially out of the playoffs.
Update: A shootout loss to the Dallas Stars officially ended the Nashville Predators’ run.
Fans of Canadian-based NHL teams have had a tough year, as many point out:
Perhaps it’s fitting that the Montreal Canadiens are once again the only franchise located in Canada that will play beyond April 13.
Stay tuned for more updates regarding the playoff picture as Tuesday’s busy night of games slow down to a trickle (much like the Leafs’ once-promising season).
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)