Apr 8, 2014, 10:39 PM EST
A night after the Vancouver Canucks bowed out of playoff contention with a 3-0 loss, the Toronto Maple Leafs completed their disastrous fall from grace with a defeat by the same score.
The Tampa Bay Lightning face serious worries if Ben Bishop‘s injury is severe, but they didn’t have a problem beating up on the Buds 3-0 on Tuesday. Toronto has now failed to make the postseason in eight of its last nine seasons and seems primed to face some serious questions about big changes during the offseason.
From March 16 to tonight, the Leafs only won two games, going 2-10-0. They close out the 2013-14 season with games against the Florida Panthers on Thursday and the Senators on Saturday.
The Leafs are joined by the Carolina Hurricanes (who lost soundly to the New York Rangers) and Ottawa Senators (whose win against the New York Islanders counts as “too little, too late”) as teams who are officially out of the playoffs.
Update: A shootout loss to the Dallas Stars officially ended the Nashville Predators’ run.
Fans of Canadian-based NHL teams have had a tough year, as many point out:
Perhaps it’s fitting that the Montreal Canadiens are once again the only franchise located in Canada that will play beyond April 13.
Stay tuned for more updates regarding the playoff picture as Tuesday’s busy night of games slow down to a trickle (much like the Leafs’ once-promising season).
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 3
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 19
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)