Apr 8, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
It’s unclear if the Florida Panthers have been an occasional upset threat by design or by acquiring Roberto Luongo, but the bottom line is that they’ve been more of a threat than their sad record might indicate (just ask the desperate Dallas Stars). One could argue that the Philadelphia Flyers may breathe a little easier on Tuesday, then, as the Miami Herald’s George Richards reports that Luongo is missing the game because of a lower-body injury.
In 12 games with the Panthers, the 35-year-old goalie might not have the greatest record (5-6-1), yet his individual stats are nice, as he has a .923 save percentage and 2.45 GAA.
Florida is trotting out solid journeyman goalie Dan Ellis tonight, so it’s not like it should be a total cakewalk for Philly.
Any form of win would clinch a playoff berth for the Flyers.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5