Apr 8, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
It’s unclear if the Florida Panthers have been an occasional upset threat by design or by acquiring Roberto Luongo, but the bottom line is that they’ve been more of a threat than their sad record might indicate (just ask the desperate Dallas Stars). One could argue that the Philadelphia Flyers may breathe a little easier on Tuesday, then, as the Miami Herald’s George Richards reports that Luongo is missing the game because of a lower-body injury.
In 12 games with the Panthers, the 35-year-old goalie might not have the greatest record (5-6-1), yet his individual stats are nice, as he has a .923 save percentage and 2.45 GAA.
Florida is trotting out solid journeyman goalie Dan Ellis tonight, so it’s not like it should be a total cakewalk for Philly.
Any form of win would clinch a playoff berth for the Flyers.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 2
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)