Apr 8, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
With a pair of veteran forwards unavailable and his team’s playoff life at stake, Nathan Horton will return to the Columbus lineup tonight for the first time in four games — even though he’s clearly not at 100 percent.
Is Horton 100 percent healthy? Not even close. Most NHL players are pretty banged-up right now, but Horton has been hobbled for sometime now and it’s unclear if the week-long break will have helped.
Asked if he knows he can play or if he thinks he can play, Horton smiled.
“I’m in, so I’m going to go with it,” Horton said. “I’ve practiced a couple times — one time by myself — but you never really know until you get into a game. I guess we’ll see.”
Asked if he’d be playing tonight if this were November 8 instead of April 8, Horton smiled. (He always smiles.)
“I don’t know. I’m not sure. It’s not November, so I don’t know.”
Horton has four goals and 17 points in 34 games for Columbus this season, often playing on the top line with Ryan Johansen and Boone Jenner (the trio will reunite tonight, with RJ Umberger and Nick Foligno out of action.)
The former Bruin and Panther started brightly in Columbus, scoring 12 points in his first 20 games, but has slowed down lately and is goalless in 24 straight — with just one point in his last six games prior to getting hurt.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)