Apr 8, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
When October ended, the Philadelphia Flyers were in a grim place with a new head coach. Now they’re headed to the 2014 playoffs after clinching a postseason berth by hanging on against the Florida Panthers 5-2 on Tuesday.
At different early points in the 2013-14 campaign, the Flyers were 1-7-0 and 4-10-1, but now they find themselves at 41-29-9 with a chance to even gain home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs. The New York Rangers won their game as well on Tuesday, and while they have two more points and tiebreaker advantages, Philly could steal things with a game in hand and a strong finish.
Either way, the Flyers shouldn’t be taken lightly, at least as long as they employ a dangerous set of forwards headlined by captain Claude Giroux. Fittingly, Giroux had a strong night for the Flyers, scoring two goals to push his season total to 27. The Flyers also benefited from a strong night from Steve Mason, who stopped 38 out of 40 shots to earn his 33rd win of the season.
The Flyers didn’t take long to celebrate tonight’s success, either:
Update: the Minnesota Wild clinched the top wild card spot with a 4-3 shootout win against the Boston Bruins.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)