Apr 8, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues are facing some of – if not the – toughest times of their impressive 2013-14 season during its last week or so. If it wasn’t enough that they lost their third game in a row on Tuesday, it also appears that rugged captain David Backes suffered an injury.
The team labels him day-to-day with a lower-body injury, as NHL.com’s Lou Korac reports.
It’s unclear how severe the injury is beyond that vague reading. Many believe that Backes, 29, was injured when he took a shot off his foot.
It’s been one of the American forward’s best seasons, as he has 27 goals (his third-best total, as he hit 31 twice in his career) and 57 points (second only to 62 scored in 2010-11). Backes already set career-highs in power-play goals (10) and game-winners (five) this season.
It will be interesting to see how St. Louis handles this situation if it’s a judgment call. They only have three games left and already clinched a playoff spot, but quite a few seedings races could go sour. Their once-firm grip on the Central Division seems to be slipping a bit (opening up the possibility of a first-round series against Chicago, they may also lose out on the West’s top seed and the Presidents’ Trophy is that much tougher to grasp with Boston three points ahead of them.
Perhaps Backes will be just fine or clearly too injured to make it a difficult decision, but if not, the Blues may face a tough judgment call toward the end of the regular season.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)