Apr 8, 2014, 11:49 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues are facing some of – if not the – toughest times of their impressive 2013-14 season during its last week or so. If it wasn’t enough that they lost their third game in a row on Tuesday, it also appears that rugged captain David Backes suffered an injury.
The team labels him day-to-day with a lower-body injury, as NHL.com’s Lou Korac reports.
It’s unclear how severe the injury is beyond that vague reading. Many believe that Backes, 29, was injured when he took a shot off his foot.
It’s been one of the American forward’s best seasons, as he has 27 goals (his third-best total, as he hit 31 twice in his career) and 57 points (second only to 62 scored in 2010-11). Backes already set career-highs in power-play goals (10) and game-winners (five) this season.
It will be interesting to see how St. Louis handles this situation if it’s a judgment call. They only have three games left and already clinched a playoff spot, but quite a few seedings races could go sour. Their once-firm grip on the Central Division seems to be slipping a bit (opening up the possibility of a first-round series against Chicago, they may also lose out on the West’s top seed and the Presidents’ Trophy is that much tougher to grasp with Boston three points ahead of them.
Perhaps Backes will be just fine or clearly too injured to make it a difficult decision, but if not, the Blues may face a tough judgment call toward the end of the regular season.
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 0
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 0
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 35
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)