Apr 8, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Tonight could be a pivotal night in the race for the final wild-card spot in the Western Conference. Both Dallas and Phoenix are in action, the Stars hosting Nashville, the Coyotes in Columbus.
A Dallas win combined with a Phoenix loss would put the Stars three points clear of the Coyotes, plus Dallas would own the tiebreaker. Which is to say, the Coyotes would be in a serious hole with just three games left to climb out of it.
Like Phoenix, the Stars have four games remaining, including tonight’s. (Though one of them, tomorrow’s make-up with Columbus, they’ll begin trailing, 1-0.)
If the Coyotes can keep the gap between them and the Stars to a single point by the time each side has finished its next three games, they’ll have a chance to grab a playoff spot on Sunday when the two teams meet in Glendale.
Dallas remaining schedule:
Phoenix remaining schedule:
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 0
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6