Apr 8, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Tonight could be a pivotal night in the race for the final wild-card spot in the Western Conference. Both Dallas and Phoenix are in action, the Stars hosting Nashville, the Coyotes in Columbus.
A Dallas win combined with a Phoenix loss would put the Stars three points clear of the Coyotes, plus Dallas would own the tiebreaker. Which is to say, the Coyotes would be in a serious hole with just three games left to climb out of it.
Like Phoenix, the Stars have four games remaining, including tonight’s. (Though one of them, tomorrow’s make-up with Columbus, they’ll begin trailing, 1-0.)
If the Coyotes can keep the gap between them and the Stars to a single point by the time each side has finished its next three games, they’ll have a chance to grab a playoff spot on Sunday when the two teams meet in Glendale.
Dallas remaining schedule:
Phoenix remaining schedule:
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)