Apr 8, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Tonight could be a pivotal night in the race for the final wild-card spot in the Western Conference. Both Dallas and Phoenix are in action, the Stars hosting Nashville, the Coyotes in Columbus.
A Dallas win combined with a Phoenix loss would put the Stars three points clear of the Coyotes, plus Dallas would own the tiebreaker. Which is to say, the Coyotes would be in a serious hole with just three games left to climb out of it.
Like Phoenix, the Stars have four games remaining, including tonight’s. (Though one of them, tomorrow’s make-up with Columbus, they’ll begin trailing, 1-0.)
If the Coyotes can keep the gap between them and the Stars to a single point by the time each side has finished its next three games, they’ll have a chance to grab a playoff spot on Sunday when the two teams meet in Glendale.
Dallas remaining schedule:
Phoenix remaining schedule:
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 5
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 13
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 35
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 17
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)