Apr 8, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
OHL Kingston center Sam Bennett shot to the top of NHL Central Scouting’s 2014 draft rankings back in January and, on Tuesday, he stayed there.
Bennett remained the No. 1 North American skater in the final Central Scouting rankings, the NHL announced today. The top five was rounded out by OHL Barrie defenseman Aaron Ekblad (No. 2), WHL Kootenay’s Sam Reinhart (No. 3), WHL Prince Albert’s Leon Draisaitl (No. 4) and OHL Oshawa’s Michael Dal Colle (No. 5).
“There are guys who elevate their game when it matters most, and you’re looking to project which players will do that consistently at the next level,” NHL Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr said. “The guys we have at the top all are in that mold, but when we look at Sam Bennett we see a guy who could potentially have a Jonathan Toews type of career.”
On the European side of things, Kasperi Kapanen — son of longtime NHLer Sami Kapanen — was named the No. 1 prospect, just like he was back in January. Kasperi has spent the last two years playing alongside Sami for Kalpa of the Finnish Elite League and, at the tender age of 17, scored 14 points in 47 games this season.
Another son of an ex-NHLer, William Nylander — son of Michael — finished second in the CSS Rankings for European skaters.
(Image courtesy the OHL)
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 0
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)