Apr 8, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
OHL Kingston center Sam Bennett shot to the top of NHL Central Scouting’s 2014 draft rankings back in January and, on Tuesday, he stayed there.
Bennett remained the No. 1 North American skater in the final Central Scouting rankings, the NHL announced today. The top five was rounded out by OHL Barrie defenseman Aaron Ekblad (No. 2), WHL Kootenay’s Sam Reinhart (No. 3), WHL Prince Albert’s Leon Draisaitl (No. 4) and OHL Oshawa’s Michael Dal Colle (No. 5).
“There are guys who elevate their game when it matters most, and you’re looking to project which players will do that consistently at the next level,” NHL Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr said. “The guys we have at the top all are in that mold, but when we look at Sam Bennett we see a guy who could potentially have a Jonathan Toews type of career.”
On the European side of things, Kasperi Kapanen — son of longtime NHLer Sami Kapanen — was named the No. 1 prospect, just like he was back in January. Kasperi has spent the last two years playing alongside Sami for Kalpa of the Finnish Elite League and, at the tender age of 17, scored 14 points in 47 games this season.
Another son of an ex-NHLer, William Nylander — son of Michael — finished second in the CSS Rankings for European skaters.
(Image courtesy the OHL)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 0
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 34
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)