Apr 7, 2014, 1:12 PM EST
R.J. Umberger‘s disappointing season got worse on Monday, as he was ruled out for ‘at least a couple of weeks,’ with an upper-body ailment. The development comes with Umberger having already been partly phased out of Columbus’ late-season playoff push; he’s been a healthy scratch on a number of occasions recently and, when in the lineup, his ice time has noticeably decreased.
The 31-year-old appeared to get hurt during Sunday’s 4-0 win over the Islanders. He only played two shifts in the third period and 8:34 overall, and was seen with his arm in a sling on Monday morning.
While his decline over the last month has been rather large — just one goal and one assist over his last 12 games — losing Umberger’s services for the remainder of the regular season and part of the playoffs would still be costly for the Jackets. He’s still tied for fifth on the Jackets in goals (18) and, prior to his slump, had been a constant lineup presence throughout the year.
In a related move to the Umberger injury, Columbus recalled forward Jack Skille from AHL Springfield on Monday.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)