Apr 7, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
R.J. Umberger‘s disappointing season got worse on Monday, as he was ruled out for ‘at least a couple of weeks,’ with an upper-body ailment. The development comes with Umberger having already been partly phased out of Columbus’ late-season playoff push; he’s been a healthy scratch on a number of occasions recently and, when in the lineup, his ice time has noticeably decreased.
The 31-year-old appeared to get hurt during Sunday’s 4-0 win over the Islanders. He only played two shifts in the third period and 8:34 overall, and was seen with his arm in a sling on Monday morning.
While his decline over the last month has been rather large — just one goal and one assist over his last 12 games — losing Umberger’s services for the remainder of the regular season and part of the playoffs would still be costly for the Jackets. He’s still tied for fifth on the Jackets in goals (18) and, prior to his slump, had been a constant lineup presence throughout the year.
In a related move to the Umberger injury, Columbus recalled forward Jack Skille from AHL Springfield on Monday.
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 18
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)