Apr 7, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
R.J. Umberger‘s disappointing season got worse on Monday, as he was ruled out for ‘at least a couple of weeks,’ with an upper-body ailment. The development comes with Umberger having already been partly phased out of Columbus’ late-season playoff push; he’s been a healthy scratch on a number of occasions recently and, when in the lineup, his ice time has noticeably decreased.
The 31-year-old appeared to get hurt during Sunday’s 4-0 win over the Islanders. He only played two shifts in the third period and 8:34 overall, and was seen with his arm in a sling on Monday morning.
While his decline over the last month has been rather large — just one goal and one assist over his last 12 games — losing Umberger’s services for the remainder of the regular season and part of the playoffs would still be costly for the Jackets. He’s still tied for fifth on the Jackets in goals (18) and, prior to his slump, had been a constant lineup presence throughout the year.
In a related move to the Umberger injury, Columbus recalled forward Jack Skille from AHL Springfield on Monday.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)