Apr 7, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
R.J. Umberger‘s disappointing season got worse on Monday, as he was ruled out for ‘at least a couple of weeks,’ with an upper-body ailment. The development comes with Umberger having already been partly phased out of Columbus’ late-season playoff push; he’s been a healthy scratch on a number of occasions recently and, when in the lineup, his ice time has noticeably decreased.
The 31-year-old appeared to get hurt during Sunday’s 4-0 win over the Islanders. He only played two shifts in the third period and 8:34 overall, and was seen with his arm in a sling on Monday morning.
While his decline over the last month has been rather large — just one goal and one assist over his last 12 games — losing Umberger’s services for the remainder of the regular season and part of the playoffs would still be costly for the Jackets. He’s still tied for fifth on the Jackets in goals (18) and, prior to his slump, had been a constant lineup presence throughout the year.
In a related move to the Umberger injury, Columbus recalled forward Jack Skille from AHL Springfield on Monday.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 18
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 33
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)