Apr 7, 2014, 8:30 AM EST
Flyers tough forward Zac Rinaldo will have to answer to the NHL for his hit on Sabres defenseman Chad Ruhwedel.
The NHL Department of Player Safety announced Rinaldo will have a hearing on Monday with Rinaldo for an illegal check to the head. It will be a phone hearing and that means the most he can be sat down for is five games. With the regular season winding down and playoffs on the horizon for the Flyers, a long enough suspension could eat into the postseason.
Rinaldo was assessed a match penalty for his high hit on the rookie Sabres defenseman and has a history. He was fined $5,000 on Feb. 4, 2012 for two separate incidents and then received a two-game suspension for charging nine days later. None of that will be considered by the league in his suspension, however, since it was over two years ago at this point.
Here’s video of the play from CSNPhilly.com from last night in case you missed it.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 23
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)