Report: Kane was scratched for breaking team rule

Apr 7, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

From Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press:

Feel free to speculate which team rule Kane broke. Late for a meeting? Missed a bus? Left the cap off the team toothpaste?

Interesting that Lawless reported it wasn’t breaking curfew — especially after Kane was spotted Friday night at the Toronto Raptors game.

Kane wasn’t in the mood to talk about much of anything today. Here, once again, is his scrum with reporters, which was all sorts of awkward:

1. ibieiniid - Apr 7, 2014 at 4:43 PM

just judging by his coach saying “just come to the rink,” my guess is that he didn’t show up to the rink at some point.

• 950003cups - Apr 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I said that in the last post about it. I said Kane was already scratched and probably decided “If I’m not gonna play, then why go to practice?”

• shortsxit34 - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:18 PM

We already know he was on the ice at the morning skate…unless it had happened earlier in the week.

2. hawkeytown - Apr 7, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Short, choppy answers, subtle defiance,, no affect & no expansion on details; He sounds exactly like Tiger Woods after a round of 80 at a major…

• c9castine - Apr 7, 2014 at 6:06 PM

lol, bad example. individual sport.

that and tigers shot over 76 in a major once.

sounds more like a start hockey player who got healthy scratched in a meaningless game.

• c9castine - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:11 PM

im saying he sounds bad.

3. 950003cups - Apr 7, 2014 at 4:58 PM

4. lowenni - Apr 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Wouldn’t want this guy on my team even with his talent. Serious attitude problems, not to mention questionable commitment to team success. From this interview sounds like he doesn’t have a lot of respect for his coach and isn’t committed to fixing the problems that made him a healthy scratch in the first place. That’s what making millions as a teenager can do to you…

• sabatimus - Apr 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Seems to me you’re reading a lot into the interview that wasn’t there.

• lowenni - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:15 PM

“Is there anything you’re gonna take away from being scratched?”

The correct answer should’ve been “Yeah, I realize now I’ve got to get my act together and do what’s right for both personal and team success. It was the coach’s decision but I was scratched for a reason and now I’ve got to prove my doubters wrong and show that I’m capable of I don’t know, scoring a goal or something and not being an a**”.

Instead the answer was “No.” and then he got sassy with the reporter. That’s what I was addressing with the comment on lack of commitment and respect.

• charlieconway96 - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:49 AM

Even if the answer is obviously canned and fake its still better than coming off as a cocky tool.

• desertfan - Apr 8, 2014 at 4:51 AM

should have played in the NBA or the NFL!!!!!

5. sabatimus - Apr 7, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Kane is facing a civil suit for assault, but since he’s not being charged with a crime and the suit is pending I don’t know how this would qualify as breaking a team rule. Perhaps there’s some kind of “conducting detrimental to the team” clause the Jets are invoking, which could cover his attitude problem among other things.

6. sabatimus - Apr 7, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Honestly, Kane might have an attitude problem, but that one media guy in the video was being a jerk by trying to wriggle some kind of apparently better answer to a question that Kane had just answered. A lot of the media just love to irritate people in order to get copy.

• cheesesteak75 - Apr 7, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Chuck Noll called the media “Flies”.

• getadealdonealready - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Agreed, and I don’t blame him for not wanting him to air his problems in the media. Typically this issues are handled in closed door meetings. He did have a bit of a S%^& eating grin, but I won’t read into that. Young kid, making mistakes, hopefully he matures and can realize the position and the talent he has.

7. muckleflugga - Apr 7, 2014 at 5:31 PM

that’s some top flight in-room sports journalism there … pulitzer’s for the taking

unlike some i’m no wizard but i am able to divine from kane’s response he’s hiding a past splattered with axe murder and cross-burning and inter-state kidnapping and several instances of civil disobedience involving wanton disposal of empty starbucks cups … in the first degree

no … with that attitude he should be pilloried tarred and feathered then forced to sit next to pierre mcguire in the tail section of a 737 doing a seventeen hour milk run from winnipeg to bismarck

i want that sumb itch deported he’s bbbbbbb bad bbbbbbb

bad to the bone

8. tapefolie - Apr 7, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I’m thinking Kane would look mighty good in a Yotes jersey! We’ll trade Yandle in a heartbeat

• thailer35 - Apr 7, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Absolutely not! I am all for trading Yandle for a scoring forward, but Kane would be a worse mistake than signing Ribiero.

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 7, 2014 at 6:27 PM

So you’re the one who watches Phoenix Coyotes….

• ibieiniid - Apr 7, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Really ruined the effect with a response from another yotes fan right below his…

• c9castine - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:14 PM

yeah theres two fans right there. almost worked

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Apr 8, 2014 at 5:45 AM

Sorry guys……I guess I’m hating on all the “die hard” Phoenix fans that rank in the bottom 4 in attendance for the past decade. My apologies.

9. beergold - Apr 7, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Gotta say it, this young Jet likes to spend his time at Earl’s while he is in the Peg, waving his 5 mill a year at all the young and gorgous ladies that are pouring him nothing but the top shelf. Anyone that is from Canada and has been to Earls will get where I am coming from.

Lots and lots of growing up to do here folks and it starts with thinking with the head on his shoulders not Mr. Wiggly!

• desertfan - Apr 8, 2014 at 4:55 AM

Defintly an NBA or NFL guy- not NHL!!!

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches