Apr 7, 2014, 9:48 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils had a great chance to gain some ground in the race for one of the Eastern Conference’s final two playoff spots on Monday. Instead, the Calgary Flames spoiled that opportunity and greatly reduced the Devils’ chances of making the postseason, beating them 1-0 tonight.
If losing to (an admittedly scrappy) team well outside of the playoff race doesn’t sting enough for the Devils, fans might wince at this one: this regulation defeat clinched a postseason berth for their local rivals the New York Rangers.
Another Devils rival in Philly probably cheered the Flames on tonight, too:
Ramo and the Flames clearly frustrated the Devils:
There might be some gripes about a disallowed goal:
Here’s the NHL.com Situation Room Blog explanation:
At 18:34 of the first period in the Calgary Flames/New Jersey Devils game, video review supported the referee’s call on the ice that Ryan Carter kicked the puck into the Calgary net. According to Rule 49.2“A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net.” No goal New Jersey.
Whatever way the Devils spin it, things aren’t looking so hot as New Jersey remains seated at 84 standings points with three games left. Check out their shaky situation via the updated standings:
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 0
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)