Apr 7, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils had a great chance to gain some ground in the race for one of the Eastern Conference’s final two playoff spots on Monday. Instead, the Calgary Flames spoiled that opportunity and greatly reduced the Devils’ chances of making the postseason, beating them 1-0 tonight.
If losing to (an admittedly scrappy) team well outside of the playoff race doesn’t sting enough for the Devils, fans might wince at this one: this regulation defeat clinched a postseason berth for their local rivals the New York Rangers.
Another Devils rival in Philly probably cheered the Flames on tonight, too:
Ramo and the Flames clearly frustrated the Devils:
There might be some gripes about a disallowed goal:
Here’s the NHL.com Situation Room Blog explanation:
At 18:34 of the first period in the Calgary Flames/New Jersey Devils game, video review supported the referee’s call on the ice that Ryan Carter kicked the puck into the Calgary net. According to Rule 49.2“A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net.” No goal New Jersey.
Whatever way the Devils spin it, things aren’t looking so hot as New Jersey remains seated at 84 standings points with three games left. Check out their shaky situation via the updated standings:
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)