Apr 7, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils had a great chance to gain some ground in the race for one of the Eastern Conference’s final two playoff spots on Monday. Instead, the Calgary Flames spoiled that opportunity and greatly reduced the Devils’ chances of making the postseason, beating them 1-0 tonight.
If losing to (an admittedly scrappy) team well outside of the playoff race doesn’t sting enough for the Devils, fans might wince at this one: this regulation defeat clinched a postseason berth for their local rivals the New York Rangers.
Another Devils rival in Philly probably cheered the Flames on tonight, too:
Ramo and the Flames clearly frustrated the Devils:
There might be some gripes about a disallowed goal:
Here’s the NHL.com Situation Room Blog explanation:
At 18:34 of the first period in the Calgary Flames/New Jersey Devils game, video review supported the referee’s call on the ice that Ryan Carter kicked the puck into the Calgary net. According to Rule 49.2“A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net.” No goal New Jersey.
Whatever way the Devils spin it, things aren’t looking so hot as New Jersey remains seated at 84 standings points with three games left. Check out their shaky situation via the updated standings:
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)