Apr 7, 2014, 11:48 AM EST
From the Sun-Sentinel:
The Florida Panthers have submitted a new request to Broward County, after the team’s first plea for public funds bombed.
But the essence of the team’s request has not changed. The Panthers, who say they’re losing millions each year, are still asking the county for a package worth more than $80 million.
Click on the story to read all the things the Panthers are still requesting from the county.
The club’s CEO, Rory Babich, confirmed the latest submission, writing in an email to the newspaper, “We look forward to continuing to engage in an active and constructive dialogue with the county staff regarding the terms of our agreements with the County. We remain confident that a sensible, long-term solution can be found to help sustain the long-term viability of the Broward County-owned BB&T Center.”
Last week, Babich refused to comment on the possibility the team could relocate, calling it a “hypothetical.” But he did make a rather strong statement at a local business breakfast.
“This isn’t a debate about whether to build an arena,” Babich said. “The arena is here. The arena has significant debt on it. If the hockey team fails …. one way or another the county’s going to have to deal with the debt on that arena.”
We’ll leave you with this tweet from Panthers beat writer George Richards, from yesterday’s Florida-Dallas game at BB&T Center:
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 46
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (137)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)