Apr 7, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
From the Sun-Sentinel:
The Florida Panthers have submitted a new request to Broward County, after the team’s first plea for public funds bombed.
But the essence of the team’s request has not changed. The Panthers, who say they’re losing millions each year, are still asking the county for a package worth more than $80 million.
Click on the story to read all the things the Panthers are still requesting from the county.
The club’s CEO, Rory Babich, confirmed the latest submission, writing in an email to the newspaper, “We look forward to continuing to engage in an active and constructive dialogue with the county staff regarding the terms of our agreements with the County. We remain confident that a sensible, long-term solution can be found to help sustain the long-term viability of the Broward County-owned BB&T Center.”
Last week, Babich refused to comment on the possibility the team could relocate, calling it a “hypothetical.” But he did make a rather strong statement at a local business breakfast.
“This isn’t a debate about whether to build an arena,” Babich said. “The arena is here. The arena has significant debt on it. If the hockey team fails …. one way or another the county’s going to have to deal with the debt on that arena.”
We’ll leave you with this tweet from Panthers beat writer George Richards, from yesterday’s Florida-Dallas game at BB&T Center:
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)