Apr 7, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
From the Sun-Sentinel:
The Florida Panthers have submitted a new request to Broward County, after the team’s first plea for public funds bombed.
But the essence of the team’s request has not changed. The Panthers, who say they’re losing millions each year, are still asking the county for a package worth more than $80 million.
Click on the story to read all the things the Panthers are still requesting from the county.
The club’s CEO, Rory Babich, confirmed the latest submission, writing in an email to the newspaper, “We look forward to continuing to engage in an active and constructive dialogue with the county staff regarding the terms of our agreements with the County. We remain confident that a sensible, long-term solution can be found to help sustain the long-term viability of the Broward County-owned BB&T Center.”
Last week, Babich refused to comment on the possibility the team could relocate, calling it a “hypothetical.” But he did make a rather strong statement at a local business breakfast.
“This isn’t a debate about whether to build an arena,” Babich said. “The arena is here. The arena has significant debt on it. If the hockey team fails …. one way or another the county’s going to have to deal with the debt on that arena.”
We’ll leave you with this tweet from Panthers beat writer George Richards, from yesterday’s Florida-Dallas game at BB&T Center:
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)