Apr 7, 2014, 11:48 AM EST
From the Sun-Sentinel:
The Florida Panthers have submitted a new request to Broward County, after the team’s first plea for public funds bombed.
But the essence of the team’s request has not changed. The Panthers, who say they’re losing millions each year, are still asking the county for a package worth more than $80 million.
Click on the story to read all the things the Panthers are still requesting from the county.
The club’s CEO, Rory Babich, confirmed the latest submission, writing in an email to the newspaper, “We look forward to continuing to engage in an active and constructive dialogue with the county staff regarding the terms of our agreements with the County. We remain confident that a sensible, long-term solution can be found to help sustain the long-term viability of the Broward County-owned BB&T Center.”
Last week, Babich refused to comment on the possibility the team could relocate, calling it a “hypothetical.” But he did make a rather strong statement at a local business breakfast.
“This isn’t a debate about whether to build an arena,” Babich said. “The arena is here. The arena has significant debt on it. If the hockey team fails …. one way or another the county’s going to have to deal with the debt on that arena.”
We’ll leave you with this tweet from Panthers beat writer George Richards, from yesterday’s Florida-Dallas game at BB&T Center:
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 8
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)