Apr 7, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner has been a secret force for them this season. While the ‘Canes won’t be going to the playoffs, Skinner leads the team with 31 goals — the first time he’s broken 30 since his rookie season.
After staying mostly healthy this season, the 21-year-old showed what he’s capable of and coach Kirk Muller believes he’s capable of scoring 40 someday as Chip Alexander of the News & Observer shares.
“He’s had a few stretches where he didn’t have production and I think because he’s young that affects guys who score goals,” Muller said. “When you’re not scoring, you evaluate your game that way, and I think through maturity you learn that when you don’t score you work to keep the other things in your game. You just keep level-headed.
“When he does that and gets a little more consistent, he has the capability of scoring 40.”
When Skinner has been healthy, he’s been dynamic. He had a sophomore slump in his second season on top of dealing with concussion problems that held him to just 20 goals, but two seasons later now he’s back to being the player we saw in his first season. If he can be a 40-goal guy (he scored 50 in junior hockey), he’ll capture the hearts of Carolina fans all over again.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)